Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My latest email ad from MacWarehouse Canada has a special offer on the combined purchase of a PM 1 Ghz or Dual 1.25 Ghz and a 17" LCD monitor. CPUsed has a similar offer; both save you about $500. When I see such offers, my immediate suspicion is that there is about to be a big price drop from Apple or a similar offer, but I have yet to see this. Does anyone have any insight on why these dealers are suddenly offering such savings?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if the 17" LCD is in for a change. Isn't it the only Apple LCD that isn't in the widescreen dimensions? Maybe it's being eliminated making the 20" the entry level Apple LCD? Just speculation.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Apple offers similar savings deals about once every nine months or so, usually combining either a specific powermac and display, or any powermac and a specific display.

When the promotion comes out there is usually speculation that they are trying to clear out stocck of whatever display is involved, but there is not conclusive evidence that this is happening, only that they are encouraging people to buy their machines.

By the way, LD has the same deal!

--PB

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Really?! I just bought the 1.25giggerdualie and 17" LCD. What is the price they are offering for the combo?

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PosterBoy:
Apple offers similar savings deals about once every nine months or so, usually combining either a specific powermac and display, or any powermac and a specific display.

When the promotion comes out there is usually speculation that they are trying to clear out stocck of whatever display is involved, but there is not conclusive evidence that this is happening, only that they are encouraging people to buy their machines.

By the way, LD has the same deal!

--PB
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I haven't seen any such promotion yet - would Apple really give the resellers a head start? By the way, what is LD?

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bjornbro:
Really?! I just bought the 1.25giggerdualie and 17" LCD. What is the price they are offering for the combo?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Macwarehouse is advertising the two for $3799, including an extra 256 megs of RAM. The combined deal involving the single 1 Ghz PowerMac is $2998, including the extra RAM. This may only be a web deal; I didn't check their regular site prices.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Here's a quick synopsis of this "deal" only available to Canadian customers.

Apple Canada's sales fell far short of expectations in the last quarter. This offer was meant to bolster overall sales. The idea was to offer the monitor at a greatly reduced price in combination with a tower. The retailer was expected to increase the tower price to make up the difference in lost profits on the monitor. Ultimately, the retailer would lose a few dollars on the deal because of the way Apple was reimbursing the retailer. Smart retailers didn't make a lot of noise about this offer because of the lower profitability. The special is effectively dead at this point because, apparently, retailers were required to submit actual sales documents by the end of today to meet the end of month deadline.

I have 2 friends who were fortunate enough to have placed their orders with a "friendly" retailer. It WAS a very good deal! If anyone knows of a retailer still offering this exceptional value, take advantage of it NOW!!!

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fox:
I haven't seen any such promotion yet - would Apple really give the resellers a head start? By the way, what is LD?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Every retailer is given the price protection for the deal and every retailer is doing it just a little differently.

LD is London Drugs, where I work. We have it set up so we make an invoice showing the full amount, and then we have a coupon to scan off the 500 smackers.

As far as i remember it runs to the end of the month.

--PB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts