Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a Apple ideologist but I do enjoy the products the company makes. I own an iBook, Mac Mini and two HP PCs.

Tonight at 9:30 I came up and flipped open the lid on my HP laptop, a machine that completely blows away everything on my iBook with the exception of RAM, both of which have 512 MB.

The hard drive light kept flashing on my HP and that usually means it is time for its biweekly reboot. I didn't want to take the time to reboot as it takes about 2 minutes to shut down and at least 3 minutes to start back up.

So I pushed on by starting Outlook and IE 7. At 9:50 both programs were still trying to open so I gave up and rebooted. At 9:57 the system had booted back up, Windows Update was running and the hard drive still hadn't settled down.

At 10:00 I disconnected everything and put it on the shelf next to the table, ran downstairs and got my iBook, came back up, plugged it into AC power, hooked up my optical mouse and came to this forum and posted this message. It took me less than a minute to get the system up and get here...my iBook hasn't been rebooted since the last major update from Apple.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
Keep the stories coming! :D I dunno I think in the end, to a lot of people it's not worth the perceived price premium to get a Mac.

Today at work (at Flow, the startup company I decided to join) when the IT guy was struggling to get computers on the net... I connected my MacBook Pro and it just worked like a breeze. One of the principals I worked with for a long time and knew I had a Mac but never took it seriously began to take it seriously. :D I mean for him, he had trouble getting things to boot quickly enough and that's on his brand new laptop.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
I love it.

My friends tell me all the time, not so much that windows is better, just that my mac sucks.

Have you ever seen a windows user have pain free wireless before? My iBooks wireless works all the time, with anything, everywhere.

If I have a problem its with the router, I love it when people are quick to jump on my mac as being the problem. One of my friends told me his wireless wasnt mac compatible. I was connected faster than he could, and he already knew the password.

I love my iBook, and its nearly 4 years old and still runs laps around my friends brand new pc laptops for general usability.

Oh well, and remember, Macs Suck!

·
Premium Member
2,705 Posts
... windows user are constantly in defense mode because they chose to allow a sad reality...they are constantly arguing me that windows is better when they have never even seen a Mac save for on tv...

·
Registered
368 Posts
When I bought my first full-time Mac two years ago (a Powerbook G4), my epiphany was when I realized how smooth the wireless (and wired) support was as well....

From surfing at home, I simply closed the lid and let the unit go to sleep. I then went downtown for a meeting and was a bit early, so I grabbed a coffee at the local Timothy's, which had WiFi. Flipped open the Powerbook, and was good-to-go within about 5 seconds. No rebooting, no restarting applications, no poking at the wireless system tray icon -- everything just worked.

I then went back upstairs to my meeting and plugged in an Ethernet cable into the side, flipped the Powerbook open, and again, within 5 seconds everything was up and working, with a completely seamless transition between my previous wireless connection and my wired connection.

Windows XP on the other hand would lose its mind every time I tried to take it out of sleep mode on a different wireless network, or change to a wired connection.

It's moments like this that you truly find God in technology. :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
The wireless stack on windows sucks, alot. I'm sitting there using Vista, and OS X to transfer files (I don't want to plug my iPod into the my windows machine) and my mac is across the house, and the vista machine is a wall apart from the network, and it disconnects, whereas my mac is still connected. Windows-Less than 5 meters, Mac- More than 5 meters. I've never had connection issues with my macbook, wherever I am, but the windows machines are constantly having issues regardless of how close they are.

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
Have you ever seen a windows user have pain free wireless before?
When I got my new Macbook Pro, I managed to get the following done in under an hour:

- Clean install of the OS (to get rid of the extra language packs)
- Getting it on to my WiFi network (which uses WPA2, more on that later)
- OS Updates (6 of them)
- Set up printers and got it talking to my LINUX based NAS
- Install of my apps.

I then installed Boot Camp and then XP Home.

I had to manually download an update to enable WPA2 authentication as WinXP doesn't have that ability out of the box. Did I mention that I had to download it from a PC since I could not get my Mac online? Also, I had to spend time configuring it since PCs don't networks that don't broadcast their SSIDs unless you hop through a few hoops. Once I did that, I could download the 147 patches (yes I actually counted) and then get my printers and NAS talking to it. Finally I installed all of my apps.

Total time to configure XP: 3 Hours

Needless to say, I was not impressed with the fact that I couldn't use a WPA2 based WiFi network with a default WinXP SP2 install. That's lame.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Total patch numbers are given to you, no counting ;)

I hate the number of updates MS gives you. A few monthly patches... It's ridiculous. I had 12 Vista updates yesterday... (my machine is not a clean install, and I've been watching TV shows on it for the past few days, so it's not due to inactivity)

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also, I had to spend time configuring it since PCs don't networks that don't broadcast their SSIDs unless you hop through a few hoops.
HP must have something on their computers that enables this as I didn't have a problem with my hidden SSID on either HP out of the box...until I upgraded my desktop to Vista and had to unhide it so that Vista could login to my network.

Even my Xbox360 accepted my hidden SSID. :confused:

·
Registered
236 Posts
HP must have something on their computers that enables this as I didn't have a problem with my hidden SSID on either HP out of the box...until I upgraded my desktop to Vista and had to unhide it so that Vista could login to my network.

Yea, XP could detect certain hidden ones, but hidden is meant to be hidden. I think they fixed that in vista. And I believe the 360 is based on the XP kernel, so it would have a lot in common with certain aspects of XP

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'm having one of those days right now at work.

Dell #1 has been giving me a headache for the past few days. The onboard sound doesn't work which, for the moment, is a slight inconvenience since nobody's using it right now and the onboard sound isn't too critical. However, it means I'll probably need to re-image that machine before the end of the week.

Dell #2 sits next to an IBM box. I needed to bump Dell #2's connection speed from 10 Mb/s half duplex to 100 Mb/s half duplex and this broke its network connectivity. Returning to the original settings didn't help, choosing 'Automatic' didn't help, and choosing 'Hardware Default' didn't help either. None of the other possible combinations of settings worked. However, Dell #2 was able to get on the network no problem when I swapped cables with the IBM; the IBM can't connect to the network using Dell #2's cable, which previously did work. At this point, I'm going to have to examine the network itself in greater detail.

I'm glad I don't go home at the end of the day to deal with more of the same!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just to add my 2¢...Had to set up a networked HP printer for 1 Mac user and 1 WinXP user recently...Mac was printing in less than 2 minutes....20 minutes later the WinXP machine was still installing drivers......

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts

If they use a third party piece of software to connect you to a wireless network, then you won't have this issue. If you use the standard Micro$oft tools, then you might. It depends on if the system this service pack installed: The Wi-Fi Protected Access 2 (WPA2)/Wireless Provisioning Services Information Element (WPS IE) update for Windows XP with Service Pack 2 is available My copy of XP home SP2 didn't have this so I was hosed until I installed it.

·
Registered
560 Posts
WinXP has just ticked me off yet again!! For absolutely NO explainable reason - "calc.exe" calculator has just disappeared off my system! Gone!

I'm also getting BSOD's on every shutdown. :rolleyes:

...and my USB devices only have a 50% chance of working when I plug them in.

I can't wait to switch.... :ptptptptp

·
Registered
236 Posts
WinXP has just ticked me off yet again!! For absolutely NO explainable reason - "calc.exe" calculator has just disappeared off my system! Gone!

I'm also getting BSOD's on every shutdown. :rolleyes:

...and my USB devices only have a 50% chance of working when I plug them in.

I can't wait to switch.... :ptptptptp
Just do a repair installation with the CD, calc is really important to the OS ;)

·
Registered
968 Posts
Dell #2 sits next to an IBM box. I needed to bump Dell #2's connection speed from 10 Mb/s half duplex to 100 Mb/s half duplex and this broke its network connectivity. Returning to the original settings didn't help, choosing 'Automatic' didn't help, and choosing 'Hardware Default' didn't help either. None of the other possible combinations of settings worked. However, Dell #2 was able to get on the network no problem when I swapped cables with the IBM; the IBM can't connect to the network using Dell #2's cable, which previously did work. At this point, I'm going to have to examine the network itself in greater detail.

I'm glad I don't go home at the end of the day to deal with more of the same!
If you're on a managed switch for your network you probably just need to reset the port on the switch. Changing from 10/half to 100/half probably screwed up the configured port. Since the IBM can also no longer connect (and they share the same cable, thus the same port on the switch [if you have one]) it makes sense that it would be something with the switch.

Trev

·
Premium Member
3,441 Posts
Apple Wireless

I bought this iBook used, off eBay.
When it arrived, I took it out of the box, turned it on, and it immediately connected to my wireless network ( after prompting for my password ) and it showed several other networks in the neighbourhood.
I was surfing in less than a minute.

Simple. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts