Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am in the midst of putting a fan list together (I mean that in the weakest sense of that term) I have been trying to work with address book but it isn't really great for keeping everything straight forward and people get duplicated all the time. I basically need a program that once built I can add to and then sort by say region. relationship or whatever.

Also, I have been having challenges with sending email blasts. This isn't spam, but family friends and fans (again using loosly) that have signed up for "Toby News". It really is getting to be a problem sending out only 99 at a time through gmail.

Does anyone have any experience with databases (I have none) and know of a great Mac app? And, does anyone know something about sending out news / announcements emails?

Thanks for the help...

And now for a shameless plug... My CTV Special is airing tomorrow night at 10pm (Saturday) Check out seetobylive.com

-T-

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
Keep in mind that if you attempt to (1) run a SMTP server on your home machine or (2) send more than X hundred emails per hour, your ISP is going to shut you off as a spammer or a commercial server.

Also you run the risk of your emails being blacklisted if you run SMTP software on a residential network block.

Discuss this with your ISP - they may have some software or a suggestion how best to handle it.

Otherwise, Filemaker Pro has mail sending abilities if you want to roll your own, and there are many stand alone programs. Your best bet however may be to make the fan list into a Yahoo Group or BCentral (or whatever Microsoft calls it this month), or some online subscription service.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
FileMaker has the database abilities that will allow you to build the solution you need. It also has some templates that will help you get started. Think of FileMaker as using Word or Pages to write a newsletter. Yes there are some templates, but you pretty much have to create the layout and the content yourself. You have more flexibility in designing a solution that can be customized for your needs, but you have the time (and expertise) needed to develop.

Daylite is a ready to use contact management application. It sells for not quite 1/2 the price of FileMaker. It is ready to go immediately after you install it. Other than preferences, and the ability to create your own values for things like categories, etc., you're stuck with what they have already designed for you but what they have designed is pretty thorough and as I mentioned, is ready to use now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts