Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking a closer look @ my data usage since this past month, I went over 2.39G (charged @ $49.62 by rogers!). I have no idea how that happened seeing I don't stream THAT much - esp w/ wifi @ work. I have an app installed that does the job, but felt I should ask what others are using.

Anyone out there using one worth mentioning?

thx!

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
What's wrong with the built-in monitoring, assuming you have iOS 7?

There's no third party app that can accurately monitor data usage by process - iOS doesn't allow that kind of access.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's wrong with the built-in monitoring, assuming you have iOS 7?

There's no third party app that can accurately monitor data usage by process - iOS doesn't allow that kind of access.
Didn't realize it was expanded now. I recall looking in prev OS's and prob never went back.

This still seems odd. 50G since sept '13 and I had 8.4 (my allowance + the overage) of it in 1 month?? very bizzare. And no warning (of course) form Rogers that I'm getting close.

I'm going to reset it for my next billing cycle and see what happens, and compare it to the 3rd party monitor I have and see.

Thx John.

·
Premium Member
1,524 Posts
I refused to pay a data overage bill once unless the provider could tell me what the data was used for. They absolutely couldn't -- as previously mentioned, Apple does not allow that level of access to the processes. The fun part was, the provider actually acknowledged the problem with that and waived the fee.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
I refused to pay a data overage bill once unless the provider could tell me what the data was used for. They absolutely couldn't -- as previously mentioned, Apple does not allow that level of access to the processes. The fun part was, the provider actually acknowledged the problem with that and waived the fee.
Huh?

It's your responsibility to monitor your usage, not your provider's. If anything, them being able to tell you how you're using your data is a massive invasion of privacy.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Huh?

It's your responsibility to monitor your usage, not your provider's. If anything, them being able to tell you how you're using your data is a massive invasion of privacy.
It actually is a breach of privacy to monitor the source.

BUT, i find it very odd to have such a spike in data usage in 1 month. You'd think they'd call to inquire. We're talking 2.5G, 40% past my allowance.

AND, the operator kindly gave me a sort of data-overdraft? meaning that for the next 2 months I would not be charged for overage. Hmmmm. It's hard to know what's going on @ TelCos. They make so much money from us!

·
You are just an illusion
2,856 Posts
Prêtre much all providers have the possibility to monitor your usage, or have an app that is attached to your account.

·
Premium Member
1,524 Posts
Huh?

Nothing changed about how I used my device, that's why I disputed the charge. They claimed I had used several times more than I hadI ever had before. That's why I demanded that they provide proof of what the data was used for. They couldn't provide it, so I didn't pay.

·
tilting at windmills
3,667 Posts
This: DataMan for iPhone - App Review | iMore

Monitors not just your data usage, but also your wifi usage. I have not come across any other app that does that. The built-in feature of the iPhone does not distinguish between wifi usage and data-plan usage; it just gives you a total figure which does not help with monitoring data-plan usage.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
The built-in feature of the iPhone does not distinguish between wifi usage and data-plan usage; it just gives you a total figure which does not help with monitoring data-plan usage.

Cheers
It does, under Settings -> Cellular. It breaks it down by application, and system services.

·
Seriously?
4,442 Posts
It does, under Settings -> Cellular. It breaks it down by application, and system services.
This.

My wife went over and it found that while she was out Pinterest was the culprit. Then turn off setting that allows Pinterest to be used on cellular.

Edit: Just reset the usage for cellular an then watch the next month.

·
tilting at windmills
3,667 Posts
Well, that screen shows me my overall data usage, and yes, it does say Cellular, but then, do I get to see the overall data usage (Wifi + Cellular) anywhere, or is that information unnecessary?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Well, that screen shows me my overall data usage, and yes, it does say Cellular, but then, do I get to see the overall data usage (Wifi + Cellular) anywhere, or is that information unnecessary?

Cheers
I'd say it isn't necessary - I couldn't care less how much data something uses on WiFi.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Well unless you don't have unlimited.
There's no reason not to have a high cap or unlimited with a third party provider - if you're still using Bell or Rogers, that's your own fault.

co-worker have 15gb limit on this 5/1 Fibe...
What's the point in having internet with that little usage?

7Mbps from TekSavvy comes with 75GB for $24.99, or 300GB for $29.99. Bell charges $47.95 for 5Mbps with 40GB. Why pay almost twice as much for less?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Nothing changed about how I used my device, that's why I disputed the charge. They claimed I had used several times more than I hadI ever had before. That's why I demanded that they provide proof of what the data was used for. They couldn't provide it, so I didn't pay.
Any chance you went from iOS 6 to iOS 7 around this time?

I don't think it is reasonable to ask the provider what apps used the data. From a providers POV, data is data.

They should be able to say between 6pm and 7pm on the 18th you used 1 Gb.

·
You are just an illusion
2,856 Posts
Any chance you went from iOS 6 to iOS 7 around this time?

I don't think it is reasonable to ask the provider what apps used the data. From a providers POV, data is data.

They should be able to say between 6pm and 7pm on the 18th you used 1 Gb.
Rogers already break down your usage per day on their invoice. At least, it did for me when i was with Rogers.

·
Seriously?
4,442 Posts
Like others have said data is data to any provider. You didn't pay but does that mean you are still being charged for it?

·
Premium Member
15,681 Posts
I may be a bit OT here, but as a fairly new user of an older iPad 2 with iOS 7, is there any real way to tell whether a wi-fi or cell account is going to be used to download data?

To prevent any cell use with a shared GSM account, I've just been turning Cellular use Off and wait until I'm near any wi-fi and use it.

But even with cell use disabled, I'll swear that there were some slight increases to the cell data. So how come when my cell in Settings is turned Off??

Similar to but not as bad as these users discovered with unwarranted cell use downloads:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5364520

Bottom line is I can't completely trust the Settings settings, as cell use don't always seem to be Off completely.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts