Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 20 gigs that I need to get off a G3 beige onto my Imac G5...would anybody have some ideas as to the best way to accomplish this? I have an external 200 gig FW drive but the G3 doesn't like and won't recognize it, even when the USB plug is used...any thoughts??
Thanks
Mike

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
If you have a network just log into one from the other. If not you can use a crossed Ethernet cable to connect the two into a TTAN (Truly Tiny Area Network) and accomplish the same thing.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yes, if you use a crossed cable. An turn on Personal File Sharing in the Sharing pane in System Preferences.
Why don't you directly connect your G5 with your G3 with your Firewire cable and do the target disk mode thing? It'd definitely be faster. But if that's not an option, then I'd use the direct ethernet cable way. I know that current macs don't need cross over cables, but not sure about the G3.

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
ok thanks.....could I not just use my ethernet cable to accomplish this??
Mike
Sorry, now you've got me! :D I happen to have had the cable from an ethernet/laserwriter kit so I have never tried this with a regular cable. The method is pretty old so maybe someone has figured out the use of a straight cable (I'd be surprised if no-one has... ) but in the imortal words of Bob Dylan 'it ain't me babe'.

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Mike you've got a router just plug the two machines into that with regular ethernet cables for networking.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts