Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so the leftist leaning mac news site has banned me until i allow ads. LOL
never! - it is my internet and i wish not to be bombarded by useless ADs.

Attachments

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
This is nothing new and it is not a ban. I get this notice on all kinds of sites and it is just their way of asking for support so you can enjoy their content and they can stay in business. I simply undo the blocker for that domain.

Liken it to you not receiving a paycheque for the work you do. It amounts to the same thing. I don't mind allowing ads on sites I use frequently. Thing is, I never read them anyway.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
This is nothing new and it is not a ban. I get this notice on all kinds of sites and it is just their way of asking for support so you can enjoy their content and they can stay in business. I simply undo the blocker for that domain.

Liken it to you not receiving a paycheque for the work you do. It amounts to the same thing. I don't mind allowing ads on sites I use frequently. Thing is, I never read them anyway.
This.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i went there this afternoon - now there is an option to continue with AD Blocking -
so i stand my ground.. it is my internet so i don't need my surfing bombarded by ADs.. it is my choice.. kinda like - when i open my front door - i don't care for the sales people out front, move out of my way so i can use my property..

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
i went there this afternoon - now there is an option to continue with AD Blocking -
so i stand my ground.. it is my internet so i don't need my surfing bombarded by ADs.. it is my choice.. kinda like - when i open my front door - i don't care for the sales people out front, move out of my way so i can use my property..
So in this analogy, is the website you're visiting "your property"? I think they would beg to differ.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So in this analogy, is the website you're visiting "your property"? I think they would beg to differ.
here is a better one.. I am driving my car and I listen to 680 NEWs - but when they air ADs i flip the channel to a station with no ADs.
so am i 'breaking them financially '? because they are not making money, as I choose to skip the ADs? no the answer is no.. they are still making money with or without me..

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts

On the other hand, if they don't want people using ad blockers, they could pick the right advertisers. Currently, on the right hand side of the page I have a "sponsored content" widget, which is chock full of spammy links with clickbait titles that are of no interest or relevance to most of their readership.

Get rid of those, and I shut off my ad blocker, heck, I'll likely even click a couple of ads.

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
here is a better one.. I am driving my car and I listen to 680 NEWs - but when they air ADs i flip the channel to a station with no ADs.
so am i 'breaking them financially '? because they are not making money, as I choose to skip the ADs? no the answer is no.. they are still making money with or without me..
Well, 680 news has no idea you're listening. Sites (and their advertisers) know how many imprints and clicks there have been. No imprint on the site, no money for the operator.

Not a very apt example.

·
Premium Member
17,777 Posts
There is something else to consider. Ads tend to take up more bandwidth than the site itself. For those with slower connections or bandwidth limitations, adblockers are essential for a good internet experience.

Mine stays active, I can almost always find the content elsewhere.

Viewing ehMac as a guest with no adblocker, is a most enlightening experience, but should be limited to once a year at the most.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
problem solved - i enabled ad blocking at the firewall level and now no one is wiser - as well as no pop ups..
now we just have banners saying - our sites require cookies.. hahahaha - i would like to hear the argument for being tracked now ?

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
i just don't go to sites anymore that tell me to turn off ad blocking. ads have become so goddamn pervasive i refuse to allow them to load on my computer and won't support any site that allows that crap to be on their site.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
problem solved - i enabled ad blocking at the firewall level and now no one is wiser - as well as no pop ups..
now we just have banners saying - our sites require cookies.. hahahaha - i would like to hear the argument for being tracked now ?
how did you do that?

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
how did you do that?
Most SMB to Enterprise firewalls offer it as standard..
at home i have A sophos SG135w - it is under Web Protection panel
i used to sell Kerio Control it is an option called Ad Block
- you will be surprised how many are offering this as standard now.
Now all my iOS devise are ad free to :)

·
Used to be Tilt
238 Posts
Can something similar be done on Airport Extreme?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Vpn

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Can something similar be done on Airport Extreme?

Cheers
no it is a dumby box.. other than NAT and wifi..
but for the price of an airport box will get you into a sophos box - might worth a thought -
protects against malware and spyware and bad sites and viruses and everything else including ransomware

plus the hardware is covered as long as you pay for the yearly subscription as well - free upgrades

·
Used to be Tilt
238 Posts
no it is a dumby box.. other than NAT and wifi..
but for the price of an airport box will get you into a sophos box - might worth a thought -
protects against malware and spyware and bad sites and viruses and everything else including ransomware

plus the hardware is covered as long as you pay for the yearly subscription as well - free upgrades
Thank you. Unfortunately I already have a brand new Airport Extreme and can't afford to buy another router :(

The next time I need a router I shall certainly remember this :)

Cheers

1 - 20 of 23 Posts