Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,753 Posts
Don't know about the cube's speed but I would say that memory is a more likely barrier. I do amateur DV editing with a PB12/867MHz/384Mb RAM and it is touch and go for large projects. It looks like the pros out there with a full FCP4 setup run machines of various speeds but with loads of RAM (one post a couple of days aog mentioned all pro machines standardised on 1.5Gig).

·
Premium Member
3,753 Posts
Hey Timothy: Great detailed feedback!

Regarding this:

Ram is always a plus in FCP if you are editing large projects. A large documentary project that I am working on at the office right now is almost 100 megs in project size. This is not usual for a 1 hour documentary in my experience. If you are cutting your home movies with 10 to 20 minutes of footage you will most likely never go above 5 to 10 megs in project size. This means that you will will have much less demand for ram and over all system resources. Meaning that a less powerful mac with say 512 - 768 megs of ram will be just fine for light editing at home.

I assume you mean GIGs

Macified: Rule of thumb is 12Gigs/hour for raw DV footage in iMovie, 15-17Gigs/hour for a finished project before final cleanup. So you need at least one good FW HD with 100Gigs to spare.

·
Premium Member
3,753 Posts
More insight Timothy, thanks!

I just bought myself FCX, I hear that the memory probs are not as bad, but I will keep in mind what you have said. Obviously the solution is to create 15 minute long projects and reassemble them at the end. Would that be straightforward?

Also, one of things I like with iMovie is that it is very quick to work with once you have assembled your sequence of clips. It has drawbacks and limited choices, but at least you can apply these transitions and titles in seconds. The FCX interface looks quite intimidating (I will play with it at Xmas), but in terms of raw speed of use, is FCX a step backwards?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.