Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone here ever own one? Just been looking at specs on them. I'm a little bummed that there's no apparent audio in/out jacks. Not smooth... but I would still possibly consider one. Love that small foot print.

What is one worth BTW???

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
For audio i/o use a USB ad/da converter such as the Griffin iMic. Sounds like a hassle, but you actually get better quality than with the old built-in ad/da chips. About $50 in Canada new (and there are quite a few others, which cost a bit more, such as Edirol, M-Audio and Onkyo models).

Most people seem to be hanging on to their cubes, and they tend to sell used for a bit of a premium vs similar desktops. I would still love to have one myself.

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
Cubes come with decent speakers ( usually ) and the iMic works fine as well. I love mine and as Gord said they are getting scarce as the upgrades are terrific and once you've owned one you don't want anything else as the experience of "quiet" :D gets you looked real fast.
We've got a couple in stock in various configs up to 800 mHz but they are getting very scarce now and the market price has jumped a bit. You'll never regret it if you are looking for an elegant piece of Apple engineering that is truly quiet as well as gorgeous. ;)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Yeah.... these are keepers. My 500 MHz version is humming (actually, it does make a slight noise as it has a Radeon card with a fan). Have been following the upgrade market. There are even 1 GHz upgrades on the market. Beats me, seeing that Apple only sold 160,000 of em supposedly. I guess it is a sign that people are hanging on to them and upgrading.

If you see one on sale, you should check it out. The prices are quirte high though (compared to other G4s and its not a good idea to stuff two processors into them.....).

·
Registered
993 Posts
I like the look of the Cube, but what I really like is its near-soundlessness. I use mine in the home and never turn it off. There are other near-soundless Macs, but none that don't come with an attached monitor. The 450 is plenty fast with Jaguar for my use, but I use it mainly for word processing, spreadsheets, charts and statistical analysis, not heavy-duty graphics or sound. The biggest negative is the lack of architecture for adding internal drives. I have external zip and floppy drives, which means a bunch of wires behind the table. I'm guessing a stock G4/450 is worth about $1,300; a few hundred more than a comparably equipped tower.

·
Premium Member
1,666 Posts
Well, with all the whining about stagnant designs and noisy G4s, why don't we start a petition to have the Cube re-instated into the lineup. Since they already own the tooling, it shouldn't be difficult to put it out at a decent price point. Maybe it would be a winner second time around, now that the good news about it is now known. With the monitor limitations of the iMac and eMac another desktop solution might be welcome. Anybody agree?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts