Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen where you can connect two computers via Ethernet via a single Cross-over Ethernet cable instead of through a Ethernet hub - what's the difference between the two methods, other than with a hub, you can connect more than just two computers at the same time.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Lars,

With the crossover cable you have one cable directly connecting on mac to the other. This precludes you from using ethernet for a high speed cable or DSL type modem through the ethernet port. Also if you have a printer that supports sharing through ethernet (mostly laser printers) you are unable to do so in the crossover setup without unplugging the crossover cable first.

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
I seem to remember at one time you could get a dongle with a duplex connection, Except I'm not sure if that would work with a DSL modem. The dongle I think was more for the older type of ethernet connection...Like on the 7100 computers.

But in anycase...Check this out:

http://www.drbot.com/prod/db.lasso?code=4359-PNEN

Not really related to the crossover question...
But it sure is interesting.

Dave :cool:

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Now a days, crossover cables aren't needed anymore. Normal cables work just fine. When I connected the two Macs at home we used a normal Ethernet cable and it worked just fine, so you don't need to get a crossover cable.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Hello,

I agree with Chealion about the lack of need for a crossover cable. In fact, I do it the opposite way. I have a crossover cable connecting my iBook to the our router. I had the cable from when my wife and I used to play LAN games on PCs - just the two of us. My regular ethernet cable is broken, but the crossover works fine.

James

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
I found this method to be unreliable. Many times the macs required a reboot to be recognized. Maybe I was doing it wrong, but I don't think so. I've never had problems with the hub though.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, everyone!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts