Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure if this topic has been discussed, but I wonder if anyone is creating SVCD's and if so, what are you using to create them.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
If you're using OS X, you can use Roxio Toast to create SVCDs. Not sure whether there is an alternative to this.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I tried using Toast 5.1.3 to make a VCD from an iMovie 3 xport, but for some reason, my audio from the original video doesn't work, but the audio I added later (music) does work. Anyone know why?

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
I've used iMovie and Roxio to make a VCD, but never an SVCD. I'm not sure if you can or not. I used Quicktime to do the conversion to mpeg, but I don't remember seeing an SVCD encoder option in Toast or QT. I read later that you had to use a third party encoder to do SVCD, but I haven't investigated it since. I will soon, however!

The video that I did in iMovie 3, then converted to VCD with QT and burnt with Toast had both the original audio as well as the iTunes imported audio. Not sure what the problem is, but I would suspect the conversion phase. It sounds like you used Toast to do the conversion to mpeg, which is the only difference to the way I did it...

·
Registered
693 Posts
Yeah, I did the conversion in iMovie 3, using the Expert option on export and then using the Toast VCD option. I'll try it with Quicktime. Do you need QT Pro for that?

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
(offtopic)

What about making regular VCDs from iMovie3 projects? Do you need Toast and Quicktime Pro? Looking for a step by step method ...

·
Registered
124 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by elmer:
(offtopic)

What about making regular VCDs from iMovie3 projects? Do you need Toast and Quicktime Pro? Looking for a step by step method ...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey elmer,
I was extremely surprised to learn how straight forward creating a VCD was. As others have mentioned, all that's really required is for the end format of the video to be in .mpeg format. QT Pro offers the ease of exporting in to .mpeg [actually having a selection 'Movie to Toast VCD'], then it's just a matter of choosing VCD format within Toast. Multiple .mpeg files can be arranged in any sequence desired. I haven't used iMovie enough or other authoring tools to be entirely familiar with other options but using QT Pro and Toast have worked easily and successfully for me.

·
Registered
124 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The Great Waka:
Do you need QT Pro for that?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey TGW,
Yeah, I believe with just the standard QT your limited by export options amoung other things.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
As mentioned above, a VCD is basically a CD with an MEPG video on it (with a few other formatting things). To make an MPEG quicktime works nice, but Toast can also do it (reaaallllyyyy slooowwwwlllyyy). just choose VCD from the menu and then drag the .mov file into toast and it will do the conversion.

For an SVCD, I think that it has to be in MPEG2 format (like a DVD), but I can't speak to the accuracy of that statement.

--PB

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
I'd like to hear about making SVCD's on the Mac... The quality of VCD's leaves a lot to be desired... I'm waiting for the delivery of a G4 ZIFF that I've heard is basically a necessity for doing SVCD. I'm running a G3/400 now.

Yes, I'd agree with the earlier statements about QT Pro. I believe that you need it for the extra export/save functions.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
I've found this website:

RNC’s Guide to SVCD on Mac

It seems to work, follow the instructions carefully. Mine first one is crunching away, it may take a while...

Also, be careful with your naming. The underlying command line program didn't seem to like having strange characters in the path or filenames...

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have made a number of VCDs and SVCDs using the website previously mentioned as a guidline. It is an ugly, manual process that will likely frustrate you the first few times. Be sure to use CD-RWs when you're starting out because you WILL make mistakes.

(S)VCD pitfalls:

- Not all DVD players will play them reliably. My (cheap) Samsung DVD-S221 plays virtually any disc I've properly made, but the quality can be quite disappointing.
- Toast is VCD only, and very picky about the MPEG source files. If the file wasn't made on a Mac with the toast option selected, it likely won't accept it.

I am actually thinking of creating a friendlier Mac application to create SVCDs since the current solutions leave a lot to be desiired. It will be a lot of work, but I am looking for a Mac development project...

- Martin.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts