Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I bought a brand new 14" M1max MBP (2tb hdd, 64gb ram) back in Oct 2021 direct from the apple.ca store, along with Applecare to replace my 2017 MPB.

In Jan apps started randomly freezing and locking up on me.
I wiped it clean and reinstalled everything.
I took a TM and restored it.
Nothing fixed it, but it's my main work computer, so I continued to use it.
In Feb it got worse. I took it to the store, they "tested" it and said everything was fine. I argued and told them that it wasn't. In fact, it locked up and restarted on its own right in front of them.

Also, they confirmed that they can see all the crash reports and logs.

It crashes sometimes when I just wake it from sleep with no progs running.

It's my main computer for work, so I need it. I run a digital agency, and it was a considerable investment.

Well, I got fed up 3 weeks ago and I called Apple. they booked an appointment and said they'll replace the logic board.

Okay. So I took a TM and restored it to my 2017 MBP I had. It's a great computer, but just a little too slow for me - I'm inpatient... lol

Took my 14" to apple, it took them about 2 weeks to get the logicboard (it was a custom config) and replace it.

Everything was working fine on my 2017, but I'm inpatient, so I went to costco and bought a 2022 M2 13.6" Air, 8GB. 512GB SSD. I restored the TM from my crashing MBP, and guess what? Everything works just fine on there!

So... I get the 14" MBP back, and everything is okay (well, there's a brand new scratch on the top casing that wasn't there when I dropped it off, so they're going to repair that for me) for 3-4 days, and then boom. Apps lock up. Chrome stops being able to access the internet but Firefox is fine. Force quitting apps just hangs them. I need to push and hold the power button down to get the computer to turn off.

Like I said... totally random. Very odd that the TM restore to the Air is fine.

I just got off the phone with Apple. They said I need to go back to the store.

I'm at a total loss. I've never had this issue in 15 years of macs...

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
17,927 Posts
FWIW I would never do a time machine restore to a machine that had been freezing, even though it does work on other computers. That said the issue seems to be deeper and Apple has failed to resolve. I would be pushing for a replacement computer right now. They will want a couple more chances to fix, but I would strongly suggest they should be lending you a comparable machine while they make those attempts.

The things that come to mind here are flakey memory or a flakey SSD. Not really keeping myself current on the new Macs but I believe the RAM should have been replaced with the logic board, unless it resides on a daughter board.

Again, FWIW. I learned with my first eMac that first generation Apple is usually best avoided. Apple likes customers to be the ones to discover design flaws.

Reactions: Vader101

·
Premium Member
16,572 Posts
Like I said... totally random. Very odd that the TM restore to the Air is fine.

I just got off the phone with Apple. They said I need to go back to the store.
I would tend to agree with eMacMan, and also give apple.ca Customer Service another call, and also point out that your experience with your localApple Store as not being very successful and also it is not right that you should be going for so long without a proper working Mac.

I would also be tempted to use Carbon Copy Cloner.app (CCC) to do a clone of the currently working System and your data and use it to install onto your goofy acting MacBook Pro. CCC provides a free working trial and I have read about too many problems with Time Machine to trust it myself.

Carbon Copy Cloner info and download:

Good luck.

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
17,927 Posts
Booting from a clean system on an external SSD connected via Thunderbolt could answer some questions. If it runs cleanly you have eliminated RAM as the source of the issue. That said about all the dealer can do with these new machines is replace the motherboard regardless of what is causing the issue.

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lots of good thoughts here. Thank you all.

I have CCC,soI can give that a shot. It wouldn't eliminate the ram, but rather the ssd.
From what I understand the ram and ssd are soldiered onto the board and are not removable, right? I have to watch a teardown video.

If they're right on the board and removable then I can't explain why it's happening. If they pulled off the ram and popped it on a new board then that would lead me to believe the ram is the issue.

I ran a first aid on the drive and partition. All clean and fine.

I'm leaning towards getting on apple's case to replace it. It might just be a dud.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm leaning towards getting on apple's case to replace it. It might just be a dud.
I could lead you through a bunch of steps to definitively track down the problem. It sounds very much like a hardware problem to me. Likely defective RAM.

But this is a machine that is still under warranty. Ask Apple to fix it. If they don't fix it after three tries, contact Apple's "Customer Relations":

You can reach Apple Customer Relations by calling: 1-800-275-2273 and asking for "customer relations."

Apple Customer Relations is staffed with people who have less stringent guidelines than Tech Support, and who are empowered to decide if a situation warrants their intervention, and they have the authority to do what is necessary to make you happy if you have a reasonable complaint.

Tell them that your Mac has had persistent serious problems, under warranty, that tech support has been unable to fix after three tries. Apple has an unwritten policy that if Tech Support has tried three times to fix your Mac and they have failed, that they will give you a new Mac. Bring that to their attention.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Randy!! Appreciate the thought on that.
I did something interesting, and for the past week the machine has been stable.

I reset chrome to the factory settings, blew out everything with it and set it back up. Maybe it's just a fluke. But I'm hoping that it remains stable.

Do you know of any load testing software I could use to put the ram and CPU through tests to check if that's the issue? I know of some for PC, but not mac.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Do you know of any load testing software I could use to put the ram and CPU through tests to check if that's the issue?
You can comprehensively test your RAM with this free utility:

Rember (free)

RAM not the problem? Test the rest of your hardware with this free utility from Apple:

Apple Diagnostics

1 - 9 of 9 Posts