Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First it was CPUsed, Then it was Beam Echo,
Now when you type the word cpused in the URL bar of your browser you get...

Midtown Digital

Amazing eh?

But did they buy out Beam Echo is what I want to know?

Dave :)

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
Bigger question is, why did you type that url in the first place?

Use whois and see who owns the domain now.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Interesting; I might have to take a look after work sometime this week...

They've got a damn good deal on a Mac Pro on their Clearance page: Apple Clearance - $2K for a 3.2 GHz eight core Mac Pro! If I didn't own a Mac Pro already, I'd be dropping by ASAP to ask about that one.

G

·
First it was CPUsed, Then it was Beam Echo,
Now when you type the word cpused in the URL bar of your browser you get...

Midtown Digital

Amazing eh?

But did they buy out Beam Echo is what I want to know?

The same person who posted the "Goodbye" notice (that you pasted on to ehmac) on beamecho registered the midtown digital domain ... Jim Hoskins. So it seems like just another name and location change to me (as well as a new business registration it seems -- 1551267 Ontario Inc.)

http://www.ehmac.ca/anything-mac/76967-beamecho-cpused-gone-out-business-3.html#post831242

Whois.net - Domain Names

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
Weren't there people waiting for stuff to pick up when BeamEcho got padlocked?

The same person who posted the "Goodbye" notice (that you pasted on to ehmac) on beamecho registered the midtown digital domain ... Jim Hoskins. So it seems like just another name and location change to me (as well as a new business registration it seems -- 1551267 Ontario Inc.)

http://www.ehmac.ca/anything-mac/76967-beamecho-cpused-gone-out-business-3.html#post831242

Whois.net - Domain Names

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
its probably same owners... different corporation..
How many times have I seen a sign up in a restaurant, that reads under new management or grand re-opening to server you once again.. LOL
if looks like a duck and quacks like a duck then it
is a duck... :)

don't you love big business and corporations..They come and go as they please... that is the freedom of capitalistic country we live in.

·
Premium Member
42,610 Posts
The Used Apple prices seem much more reasonable then CPUSED/BeamEcho.
Yeah, lower than Apple refurb for a change!!

This place isn't far off my beaten path, so unless anyone beats me to it, I'll poke my head in there to see if it's just a temporary clearance centre. The name alone doesn't fill me with any confidence.

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
The Used Apple prices seem much more reasonable then CPUSED/BeamEcho.
keep in mind the whole used mac market has taken a hit since the last round of machines and pricing was released...

its hard for *anyone* to sell a plastic 2.2 macbook for $900 or so like you used to when you can get a plastic unibody 2.26 that is WAY faster, has faster RAM, a battery that lasts twice as long and a screen that is like 4 billion times better for $1099

·
Premium Member
42,610 Posts
its hard for *anyone* to sell a plastic 2.2 macbook for $900 or so like you used to when you can get a plastic unibody 2.26 that is WAY faster, has faster RAM, a battery that lasts twice as long and a screen that is like 4 billion times better for $1099
I still comb the craigslist ads for a reasonably priced early MacBook that a relative wants to buy, but there's a stratification of prices at $600 and above. I often see refurb MacBooks at $850 to $950 at the Apple Store, but that doesn't stop the majority of people from asking for $800 with a two-hour battery and "a little line on the screen that is difficult to see unless you hold the cover at 45 degrees."

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
I still comb the craigslist ads for a reasonably priced early MacBook that a relative wants to buy, but there's a stratification of prices at $600 and above. I often see refurb MacBooks at $850 to $950 at the Apple Store, but that doesn't stop the majority of people from asking for $800 with a two-hour battery and "a little line on the screen that is difficult to see unless you hold the cover at 45 degrees."
And the Apple store refurbs have a full one-year warranty that can be AppleCared into two additional years. Um, I'll take that over a machine with a line on the screen that costs more and has no warranty...

·
Premium Member
42,610 Posts
And the Apple store refurbs have a full one-year warranty that can be AppleCared into two additional years. Um, I'll take that over a machine with a line on the screen that costs more and has no warranty...
Exactly. I'll take my chances at $500 to $550, but you've gotta be nuts to pay $800 for someone's warranty-free cast-offs.

G

·
Weren't there people waiting for stuff to pick up when BeamEcho got padlocked?
Yep I think so. I'm a bit dubious when one computer store gets locked up and a while later a "new" one pops up, run by the same person but under a different name.

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
And they've done this multiple times.

Like those restaurants that get padlocked while employees get no notice, no back wages, wait months for documentation so they can apply for stuff, no references... Great job, guys.

Yep I think so. I'm a bit dubious when one computer store gets locked up and a while later a "new" one pops up, run by the same person but under a different name.

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bigger question is, why did you type that url in the first place?

Use whois and see who owns the domain now.
I'm a bored surfer, I tend to do things like that when I'm bored,
I expected to reread the old Beam/Echo loser page.

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And they've done this multiple times.

Like those restaurants that get padlocked while employees get no notice, no back wages, wait months for documentation so they can apply for stuff, no references... Great job, guys.
That's why I like unions, Worked on a project downtown as a construction worker,
The contractor tried to get away without paying us for 6 weeks, So...I called my union rep,
Next day, There is a notice on the building site that there is a lien on the project,
Day after that, I got a registered letter with my paycheck in it.

The building site was Barclays Bank on Bay street.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
That's why I like unions, Worked on a project downtown as a construction worker,
The contractor tried to get away without paying us for 6 weeks, So...I called my union rep,
Next day, There is a notice on the building site that there is a lien on the project,
Day after that, I got a registered letter with my paycheck in it.

The building site was Barclays Bank on Bay street.

That explains cost over runs and never completing the project on time. :lmao:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.