Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a single G5 1.8 (800 FSB/PCIX) that, apparently, according to the seller, has a daughtercard. Does this mean that my CPU is upgradeable and to what extent? Just curious. This is what the seller said was a bonus with this particular model.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
One good thing of having the CPU on a daughtercard means that if the CPU dies, it can be replaced, unlike those ones that are soldered to the motherboard.

I haven't heard of any PowerMac G5 CPUs being upgraded. Not sure if it can be done. Of course the CPU is under a ton of metal, so it's not the easiest to get to.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
In my opinion, the seller is offering empty promises. I really don't see there ever being CPU upgrades for the G5 legacy. In context to how long they were used (not very) and the % of installed userbase (small compared to the G4 market) AND considering that IBM has moved on in their CPu roadmap and Apple has parted ways... I just don't see it happening :( It feels terrible to say this, but to me a G5 is a dead-end.

This is SOLELY an opinion, formed by my own view of the market. Take it for what you will.

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I figured. The seller had stated this about a year before the Intels actually came out. They weren't even mentioned then. The G5 had a promising future at that time. Short-lived, eh.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts