Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy. I'm new to the ehmac. Glad to see a Canadian-based mac site. I hope someone can help.

My CPU fan for my G4 (Quicksilver 867mHz) is making an unbearable chirping/squealing noise.

I've done my homework, I'm certain it's the CPU fan (next to the heatsink). I've pulled the part and it's definitely the bearings; I can hear them squeal when I spin the fan by hand.

Does anyone know of a Toronto-, or preferably Mississauga-based retailer for Mac hardware that might have this fan (and not the Apple store)?

I tried Macdoc, they sent me here. (I think they assumed I wasn't sure of the problem)

Tiger Direct - no
and I've tried two other independents to no avail.

I'm trying to locate the part without having to order it online. Will do so if I'm completely stuck.

ANY suggestions or work-around solutions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

·
Beaugeste
1,017 Posts
I had the same problem with a 755 mghz power mac g4 cpu fan. I took it to a reputable computer (PC orientated) store and the tech knew right away which fan would fit. Cost me $20 and was an exact fit except for the little connector. I cut the old one off and put it on the new fan...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response, jm.

You say you modified the connector. I came across a fan at one store that looked to be the same size, but it had a connector with three contacts (three wires). The original fan for the Mac (the one I'm replacing) has two.

Does this sound similar to what you encountered?

Thanks again!

·
Bald by choice
9,055 Posts
I'm led to believe the third wire is for variable speed control.
I've used several of these 3 wire fans, the 2 wires that work for me are the red+black

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Problem solved! I found a standard two-wire one at Liata Computers for $8. Just had to splice the original connector. Sweet silence! Well, as quiet as a G4 tower can be ;)

Thanks for your help guys!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.