Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

CPR/First Aid Training - Toronto

4825 Views 12 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  FeXL
I'm looking to take a CPR/First Aid course (Level C) to fulfill employment requirements, and was originally going with this company:

First Aid and CPR Training - Toronto CPR

Then found this:

Toronto EMS - The largest Emergency Medical Service in Canada

Anyone take the course from either place? They're both certified to teach it, etc. Just curious if anyone has experience from either and if they found either course fairly straight forward and enjoyable to at least some degree.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Now why do I think the message above is SPAM?

Pretty suspicious first post if you ask me. Hmmmmm?
Lars, the Toronto EMS course is very good - they all are it just depends on the instructor whether or not it is fun. I only teach corporate courses so I am not much use to you there but a few of my friends own companies that teach

Home - ER Academy

First Aid/CPR provided by Heart to Heart, Toronto - Heart to Heart

Hope that helps!

pm me if you have any questions
I recently took a CPR/First Aid course through the Red Cross and I would not recommend going through them. A lot of the course was about what the Red Cross does and why they are so great. Just a big marketing front.

Years ago, I went through St. John's Ambulance and I felt that the training I received there was far superior than the Red Cross.
CPR SPAM reported
Through Coast Guard I've always taken the St John's ambulance courses. Very thorough.

At work they were offering a course through Link to Life which I took just out of curiousity. For the average person it is good as it covered the situations you would typically encounter at home, workplace, or on the road.

K
Now why do I think the message above is SPAM?

Pretty suspicious first post if you ask me. Hmmmmm?
The one by carolinetuong or is the one you are talking about deleted? Her links look legit.

Kevin
I took a St. John Ambulance course last December, and it was pretty good. The instructor was hard core first aid, being a retired army medic who saw service in Bosnia, and really knew her stuff. She got to actually do some first aid, when the crazy woman in the class got her tongue stuck in the cpr dummie's mouth... beejacon

I had a company sponsored course a few years ago - but I can't remember the name of the outfit, but it was the worst training I ever went through, and I mean WORST. I came out knowing less - as it was mostly about how to "protect" the company from law suits by not getting involved or saying anything, and how not to help someone until the corporate lawyers give the go ahead. But then, it is the same company that trumpets their "safety record", even though half the crew at any given time will be on "light duties". I wish I could recall the name of that firm though, it was the worst CPR training ever - like, it would be better to just let someone die in dignity rather than go through their steps on how to go Taliban on a victim...

Unless one of the firms indicated by the OP is better, I'd recommend St. John Ambulance, and don't fool around with the penny-ante stuff that caters to corporate needs - because if it is corporate, it will be mostly about how to avoid liability. As for Red Cross - they were the spank monkey that were giving diseased blood to people for years, I don't think I'd trust them with anything. They were so bad with blodd, the Government had to take it over to make improvements, which is practically unfathomable knowing the Government propensity for dropping the ball in order to rush for a pile of cash and steak dinners...
See less See more
The one by carolinetuong or is the one you are talking about deleted? Her links look legit.
All the links are legit on this thread--it's the only reason these characters posted. The thread was revived today after 6 months of slumber.
I've taken both the Standard & Emergency versions of St. John's First Aid a number of times since 1979 when I joined my home town volunteer fire department. Back in the early days you actually learned something. The course was not for dummies, you actually needed to be able to think & problem solve.

My most recent update was about 6 years ago and, frankly, it was disappointing. It had been turned into "First Aid for Dummies". While I respect the need to get more first aider's into the population, I also want somebody working on me who knows the difference between my elbow & my butthole.

I asked the instructor about it & he agreed that it had been significantly dummied down over the years. Sad, really. Another example of current society's need for near-instant gratification, I s'pose...
^^^
They used to have a lengthy, detailed course - and now they basically cram it into a day or a day and a half. But compared to some programs that corporates like the send people to, St. John Ambulance will teach some actual skills, rather than just telling the workers to not admit liability and wait for the lawyers to tell you what you can and can not do to avoid a lawsuit or a compensation claim against the company...
I've taken both the Standard & Emergency versions of St. John's First Aid a number of times since 1979 when I joined my home town volunteer fire department. Back in the early days you actually learned something. The course was not for dummies, you actually needed to be able to think & problem solve.

My most recent update was about 6 years ago and, frankly, it was disappointing. It had been turned into "First Aid for Dummies". While I respect the need to get more first aider's into the population, I also want somebody working on me who knows the difference between my elbow & my butthole.

I asked the instructor about it & he agreed that it had been significantly dummied down over the years. Sad, really. Another example of current society's need for near-instant gratification, I s'pose...
Hmm that doesn't sound good. Was the group you went through with comprised of members of the public as well?

Perhaps why?

All my SJA courses were combined with Police and Coast Guard so we covered a lot.
Niteshooter:

The first time I became certified in Standard First Aid, it was all the fire department crew, a three day course. Refresher courses (usually a day long) were offered on a biannual basis for those of us who only required recertification. I took those until I left the fire department in '85.

In the fall of '86 I became a member of Residence Council in university and, as a requirement, had to take the complete Standard First Aid course (these were just regular people, no emergency staff involved, course was a little over 2 days, somewhat compressed). I retook the course every fall from '86-'89. Still good material, not dummied down.

From '90 until '96 none of my employers required certification & I let it lapse. Became certified in '97 in Emergency First Aid, a less demanding, shorter course, 1 day (again just general public, but a fair amount of detail). Maintained the Emergency level every year until 2000 when, again, I became certified in Standard First Aid. At that point it had been diluted some. Two day course, but far less material covered & in less detail.

The last time I took Standard First Aid was in '04 (general public) and I could have taught that course with my eyes closed and one hand tied behind my back. There was no testing on role playing an accident or disaster, no testing of the various types of injuries and how to treat & bandage them, no testing of CPR technique (it was shown to us on R-Annie, we had to demonstrate the technique but we weren't required to pass the breathing/compression rate), nothing. We basically followed along in the textbook and nodded our heads.

A whole day long and a short one at that.

And, it wasn't as if we were all old timers acquainted with the procedures and were just looking for recertification. There were many in that group who had never taken the course before.

When I asked the instructor about former prerequisites and how things had changed over the years (I had actually recertified under him back in the '80s a couple of times), he just shook his head and said that he didn't agree where they were headed. If it had been a new, younger instructor I may have thought that he was just out of the gate & needed to polish his material a bit. However, this man had been teaching First Aid for close to 30 years at that point and knew his stuff.
See less See more
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.