Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I'm thinking I'm going to be selling my 2nd gen ipod (I've already got a buyer lined up) and getting a 3rd gen. Does anyone know a site that ships to anywhere in Canada, but is not based in Ontario? I'm trying to save myself PST. It's evil here.
Or really any site with a good deal. I saw that London Drugs has it for $524.98 (the 20 gig..thats what I want) but they don't seem to sell online. London Drugs is just a tad too far a journey pour moi. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Why not Apple Canada?
Can you get the EDU price,, great deal on iPods...
15 gig is 365...
20 gig is 525
40 gig is 625

I don 't belive you will be charged PST on this,, and thats free shipping.
how much you going to sell your 2nd gen for?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got charged PST when I ordered from the Apple Store with educational discount. Wasn't too much of a hit on the 15 gig. On the 20 though, I can understand where you're coming from...

One site that has iPods that isn't based in Ontario is Cendirect. They have a warehouse in Toronto though... so you may still be charged PST... but it's worth checking out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hmm, sounds like Lord Black! Why not just pay the tax? Its only the price of a pizza and a flat of beer. As much as we bitch about taxes some do go to defraying the costs of higher education, building roads etc., etc. Just a thought.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
You may be charged PST anyways. Ontario has been cracking down on people trying to get away without paying the PST. Any place that you buy something from, I believe has to fill in a form indicating that you didn't pay in the PST because your from another province.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys. Lindmar, I'm pretty sure I would get charged PST on apple canada. I could always double check though. Also, I'm just a k-12 student and don't quality for the discount yet. My 2nd gen is going for $400..that's the best offer I've gotten so far. (It's brand new.) Cjmitchell, that was a cool site...I'm a little confused though; they have the 3rd gen 20 gig listed 3 times..twice at $546 and once at $518..they appear to be the same. $518 ain't bad. ;) Argimou, I pay 15% tax on everything I buy anytime, plus it comes off in huge chunks off every time i MAKE money. I'm sure they won't die if I wanna spare myself paying an extra $80 in tax on a single thing.
But I know it goes into roads and stuff. I respect that...just once in a while it's nice to save. I'm not trying to rip off the system indefinitely.
Kosh, I haven't heard about that...but I guess it doesn't hurt to try.

- Also, that's exactly why I don't drink beer. ;)

[ January 26, 2004, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: frompc2mac ]

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
WestWord Edmonton:
General Sales:
[email protected]

Phone:
Local: (780) 454-5190
Fax: (780) 454-5248
WATTS: (800) 252-7506

Usually ships XPressPost; you will have to pay for shipping. No PST.

Also, any reseller without an office or representative in your province (of any kind; not necessarily a retail store) can ship PST-exempt. Which solves the mystery as to why Apple does charge PST everywhere in Canada, if anyone was wondering.

Personally, for something like an iPod (where you will save perhaps $30 for a 15Gig3G) I buy local.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks gordguide. I've already calculated the tax to be $44ish on a 20gb ipod. $549.99 * 0.08 = $43.52. After GST it's like $80 in tax. I can't buy locally anyway...no one sells mac anything where I live..so if i have to order it online I might as well save myself the tax. Thanks for the contact though!

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
I wasn't charged PST on my Powerbook and iPod when I ordered them online (BTO reason).

But I lived in Alberta, would that be the only reason I wasn't charged PST? No PST is wonderful at the cash register.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep Chealion that'd be the reason you didnt get charged PST. They charge whatever the tax is in your province. That'd be 7% GST for you. Lucky

1 - 10 of 10 Posts