Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my brother was coming up for a visit (from Winnipeg to Edmonton) and was in the market for a new ipod. Thought he'd buy it here and save the one tax. I browsed around and found that ipod's were the exact same price everywhere, except Costco where the 80Gig video was 20 dollars cheaper. Stupid thread I know, but I thought just in case anyone missed this it's basically like I just gave you 20$. you're welcome

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have been considering doing the same thing, but wonder if there is any difference in the iPod you get considering a lot of Costco and Sam's Club's inventory consists of older and discontinued models...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Costco sells the same iPods as every other store. The only difference is Costco's pricing model. They discount and make very little profit on one item, but rather depend on volume to make their money. So the smaller guys can never compete on price.

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
And you have to buy a membership, pay in cash, drive out to the place (20 minutes further each way than my usual shopping places, so saving $20 in exchange for my time and gas is a saw-off) and put up with the non-existent and sometimes outright hostile service.

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
Its not bad though if you are already a Costco member, and already use American Express as a credit card, and already go for other reasons, and go to a particular Costco where the customer service is absolutely stellar and terrific.
Agreed. In addition, where you can return anything ;)

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
Ah well, the Victoria location must be an anomaly then. My wife went in and I aked her to to pick up a 1TB WD MyBook Pro drive, the first clerk she asked said "I'm busy. Why didn't you ask one of them over there" - pointing to the usual cluster of 3 employess who are chatting among themselves in front of the television display. She asked them, got the "Can't you see you're interrupting us!" stare, then one of them proceeded to try to help but was utterly clueless. Despite having a printout of the web page with the part number and description, they managed to supply her with the wrong product (although she was charged in full for the right one).

Last time I was there, standing in front of an empty rack for carts, I was informed that if I wanted a cart, I would have to go and collect one myself from out in the parking lot (in the rain) because the staff didn't do that.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Costco's return policy is excellent.

Never had a problem returning stuff like electronics and yes even opened DVD's and games. My son insisted on a PC to be in par with his friends so I bought him the PC knowing the three month (or was it six?) money back policy. Fortunately he hated the Windows XP and I returned the set two months later and got my money back no problem. Replaced my G4 with the 20" MacIntel months later.

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
Ah well, the Victoria location must be an anomaly then. My wife went in and I aked her to to pick up a 1TB WD MyBook Pro drive, the first clerk she asked said "I'm busy. Why didn't you ask one of them over there" - pointing to the usual cluster of 3 employess who are chatting among themselves in front of the television display. She asked them, got the "Can't you see you're interrupting us!" stare, then one of them proceeded to try to help but was utterly clueless. Despite having a printout of the web page with the part number and description, they managed to supply her with the wrong product (although she was charged in full for the right one).

Last time I was there, standing in front of an empty rack for carts, I was informed that if I wanted a cart, I would have to go and collect one myself from out in the parking lot (in the rain) because the staff didn't do that.
That's a pretty crappy experience. It must be that location's poor management on an isolated group of workers that you must of dealt with at the time. I doubt it's the culture of Costco but I guess one bad customer experience goes a long way. I'd probably have the same opinion if that happened to me but would probably hold my breath and keep going there just because of the unmatched ease I find.

·
Registered
327 Posts
thanks guys. I did pick one up last night at Future Shop, and they are coming up in their computers as $369.99 for the 80GB...nice upgrade from my 4 or 5 year old 15GB....I see in colour! Surprised they went back to the USB connection over the firewire though...

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
I refuse to pay a "membership" to get into a store... That is a ridiculous concept. :mad:

The deals on electronics are not that good, and can usually be bettered with a little shopping around especially on line. ;) And online gets it delivered to my door - nearest Costco is 40 miles from here.

And I almost never need 85 pork chops in a single package. :D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts