Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for a used G4. I have 2 possibilities. One is a G4 graphite 400 mghz. With 512 megs of ram and a dvd drive. The other is a silver tower 800mghz. Can some one tell me what i should be paying for these computers?

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
about $550 - $650 for the Sawtooth G4. not sure about the other tower, although i would guess in the area of $1100 - $1200.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
The prices on EveryMac.com are way out of proportion, so don't even bother looking at that place for an idea.

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
Way out of proportion to what? Can you substantiate your claim, please? I find them to be pretty reasonable compared to what some people typically ask for in private sales. At least it's a starting point; I'll look at what Everymac says a certain model is worth, then convert to Canadian dollars and look up what local used Mac dealers are asking for stuff, get their figure and then average it out.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
I think EveryMac is semi-decent to look at pricing, if you look at the prices there in Canadian dollars - so when it says "$700 U.S" for a G4/400 (AGP), just read that as $700 CDN. Because quite frankly speaking, $700 U.S for a G4/400 is $927 CDN. Yet people here sell them as low as $600 (on average) - blowing EveryMac's price about $330 out of proporation, which is quite a difference in my opinion.

·
Honourable Citizen?
4,853 Posts
I agree that Everymac's estimates are too high, at least when I was looking for my G4 in October. I think the best way is to look on eBay and check out the recent completed auctions.

I bought a Dual-processor 450 Power Mac on eBay last October with a winning bid of $635. US. At the time, it was lower than what they were generally going for and much lower than Everymac's price (can't remember what their estimate was, now). I just looked and noticed that what I paid in October is still lower than their lowest price, they're listing it as $650 to $950. US.

I had entered the bid thinking there was no way I would win, but to my surprise I did. You see, I hadn't actually intended on buying my computer on eBay, at least not from a non-local seller, because I was worried about shipping problems etc. But it all worked out fine, the seller was great.

The most important thing is to know what kind of G4 you're looking at, especially if it's the 400 mhz. Apple released a confusing array of models around that time, some being PCI Macs (known as the "Yikes" models) and some being AGP Macs (known as the Sawtooths). The Yikes's don't go for nearly as much as the Sawtooths because they're older technology, but I saw many auctions on eBay where people were bidding too much for the Yikes's. Apple has a page that shows you how to tell them apart here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58418&sessionID=anonymous%7C41163674&kbhost=kbase.info.apple.com%3a80%2f

1 - 8 of 8 Posts