Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having recently purchased a few CDs that have this "feature" I just wanted to find out everyone else's opinion on what will for sure be a headache for alot of iPod users out there.

When I go to extract the songs off the CD to add to my iPod my system just freezes. I then have to force quit the application and hit eject.

I've tried covering the first area on the CD as per other suggestions elsewhere but it isn't helping.

I can't see myself buying many more CDs if this will be the case when trying to listen to them on my iPod.

(Can't wait till Apple allows Canucks on the iTunes music store. Then I can really stick the finger to the brainiac that thought of Copy Control.)

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I don't buy CDs with those features.. leave them rot on the shelves.. if the record companies want to make everyone a criminal by putting CD protection on their CDs.. go for it, but I would not buy them..

RtC

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Hmmm. This will be another interesting battle. They have music available for download, but yet, they will still create copy protected CDs. I believe that many of the artists are given the option of created these CDs. I do know that they will add these features to Advance Music. They do need to warn us anyhow, I oft use my PB to play music, and inserted some advance music I received in the mail... and my unit froze. Totally forgot that I was dealing with a copy-pro disk. I'm not mad - I just don't like what it does to my unit.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tonyhere... yep... It won't let you listen to (on a computer.. in this case my eMac) or download the music for use on an iPod.

Makes me furious as I purchased the disc and should be able to listen to it where ever I want.

I guess in the end I will have to dub the CD via the analog output of my CD Audio Player to my mac. Then convert these to mp3s.

It makes me mad as I purchase music to listen to it on the go.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
i wonder if there is now a market for a computer peripheral like "dumb" CD-ROM drive that behaves like a CD player on your stero

these should be cheap and could be USB

something like a Discman but as a computer peripheral

old technology, should be able to be cheaply and massively produced

would that work?

·
Registered
196 Posts
That's what I thought in terms of listening off a computer. That's why I called them music disks. I remember reading this on lowendmac.com that these disks do not carry the tradtional "CD Compact Disk" logo. If they do, lem suggests (and I would agree) that you should exchange them at the store saying it doesn't play from you "CD Player". Get another disk, exchange that. After about 10 or so, maybe the artist/record company/etc. would get a clue.

BTW, I don't steal music, but I firmly believe in my rights to listen to MY music wherever I want to.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
i support internet radio stations like radioparadise.com - they have a great playlist - no commericails and i am just getting sick and tired of all this bullsh*t that the record companies are trying to ram down our throats - making CDs that freeze your computer - the hell with them

it's radioparadise.com for me until the U.S. Congress shuts them down

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Is there a listing anywhere of CDs with copy protection on them?

I buy CDs all the time, and probably wont stop any time soon, but it would be nice to know ahead of time which ones are which.

--PB

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Most CDs that use the Copy Control scheme used on EMI and Virgin discs will make some mention of that fact on the label (although they *may* only mention it on the small print on the back). Taking a few extra seconds and looking for that text might not be a bad idea.

Also, if a CD doesn't have the compact disc digital audio logo on it, chances are it's got some form of digital tomfoolery on it.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Roland, return it to the store for a refund. CD copy protection is far more widespread in europe and it will become so here unless the public refuse to submit to this assumption of guilt. I have never abused copyright on music and I've bought a load of CDs. I will not buy a copy-protected one.

If the companies insist on this stupidity, more fool them. However, its the retailers who have to deal with the backlash and the hassle. Since the retailers have a fair amount of swing with the record co's (at least a lot more that Joe Public), they are probably the best hop we have of killing this practice beofre it becomes widespread.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Trying riping the CD in a another program, like musicmatch or windows media player(sorry about that one). I got one of these cd's and after trying to rip it in a few different players, i got it to work. And if it actually says on the cd that it is rip proof, it will probably screw you computer, as it did mine.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I e-mailed the record label that released the disc (EMI Music Canada in my case) and told them of my problems. I mentioned that I have an iPod and I want to use my music on it.

It seems all the latest discs I want to purchase are EMI's and have the Copy Protection.

I see it directly affecting Canadian artists negatively.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I had a similar problem with a CD I got for christmas. It was Eminem's 'The Eminem Show'. I had copied it to my laptop, and I couldn't figure out why it was hissing and popping when I played it back in iTunes. Playing the CD itself produced the same result (ruling out that it was a bad copy somehow), but oddly, when I played it with the old school Apple CD Player, it produced no problems at all.

Anyways, I took it back to HMV and explained my plight. I told them that I kept having problems trying to copy it to my copmuter (something that *is* legal in Canada, for personal use) and asked if there was copy protection on all the 'Eminem Show' cd's, or if it was random.

The sales clerk stared at my dumbfounded and said "You know, you're the first person to come in here and try and return a CD because you couldn't copy it..." and then she smiled.

Long story short, she said that she didn't realise there was any kind of copy protection on any of them,(at least, not one had compalined about it). She wound up giving me another copy of the CD to try to see if it was just a bum disc.

The next copy I had worked fine, and managed to copy it withouth any troubles...

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Hello,

I want to purchase the new Ben Harper album, but I think it has the copy protection on it. I doubt the CD would work for me, as we don't have a conventional CD player anymore. If I want to listen to the music or get a copy of it, I guess I may be forced to find another way of getting the tunes.

It seems quite ironic that copy protection may cause people to become criminals and not pay the legal royalties to the artist.

I'm also not interested in downloading music from a store. I would much sooner just buy the CD and have the complete recording. I have found that songs may not be that great now, but it is quite possible that the album may be better over time. Tastes and preferences do change, strangely enough.

James

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
sorry dudes.. this may be the end of my popularity @ ehMac, but I manage artists and right now, it sucks that there is no control on what happens to the music that they put out. I mean, why bother work hours upon hours in the studio so that you can have your music d/l'ed? I too want to find a solution to this quagmire, but imagine producing a record for $100k (and that's the low end) just to have it available a short time after on the net and seeing sales fizzle? To all who think that the labels are the ones making the dough, that's not always the case. Anyhow, I liken this a little to post 9-11 treatment of travelers - I'll be the last one to terrorize a flight, but guess what?? I've been oft subjected to several searches (sometimes a little demeaning). What should I do? Not fly anymore? I want to see a solution as I too want to play/rip the music that I buy - but the reality is that there is a problem out there. BTW, Roland, I deal with EMI Canada err-day (they distro on of my artists), and we talked about this more in our more recent meeting... There's a stat out there, that there were somewhere over 9 Billion file transfers online in CDN apparently during an extended period. A ridiculously high #... anyhow, @ 99¢ a pop, this would be more than the music industry has ever seen in one year in retail sales. Beleive me (to all), they want to work with err-one, but in a safe and legal matter.

In closing, let me tell you a true story which paints a little picture of what could be: A good friend of mine - and well known CDN artists was on tour promoting a new record. He was just done an instore @ a local HMV. He was signing autographs, and such... a fan came to him with a burn of his CD and asked for it to be autographed. :mad: not knowing what to do - and after a short pause that seemed like an internity, he declined politely and mentioned that it was a burn, and directed him to the store. This is what is happening - esp with the younger gen of kids - never grew up around the analog age, and as such d/l'ing was part of the err-day vocabulary. So what to do?? I know that the CDN antipiracy campaign is a little more gentler, and less confrotational then the US one and is trying to get these kids to have some appreciation anf respect for the craft and artistry. We don't get them early, things could get a little crazy....

Jumping in shower - over and out.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Ohenri,

The solution is not to force people to buy a new copy of the music for every new format. There needs to be limited but fair restrictions. The iTMS has these (I think). But the way to prevent unsolicited copying is not to trot out a series of single purpose formats that gauge the honest buyer.

I will not buy a copy protected CD. If I do so inadvertantly, I'll return it for a refund. It's not clear to me that air safety is a good analogy.... terrorists operate through fear. Pirate act through irresponsibility. Once you pass the security screen, the flight experience is as it was 20 years ago. Not so, CP-CDs.

I don't want to screw the artists (or the record companies). But I also don't want to be treated like a criminal.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Ohenri detailed:
In closing, let me tell you a true story which paints a little picture of what could be: A good friend of mine - and well known CDN artists was on tour promoting a new record. He was just done an instore @ a local HMV. He was signing autographs, and such... a fan came to him with a burn of his CD and asked for it to be autographed. not knowing what to do - and after a short pause that seemed like an internity, he declined politely and mentioned that it was a burn, and directed him to the store. This is what is happening - esp with the younger gen of kids - never grew up around the analog age, and as such d/l'ing was part of the err-day vocabulary. So what to do?? I know that the CDN antipiracy campaign is a little more gentler, and less confrotational then the US one and is trying to get these kids to have some appreciation anf respect for the craft and artistry. We don't get them early, things could get a little crazy....
Well, your friend did the right thing. It is increasingly difficult to fight the mentality of the "free music" concept.

When the iTunes store came out, I was ecstatic. a legal way to download music. Excellent!

And most of the PC-users in my office BALKED at the idea. "Why don't you just download it for free?" one of them said. "You'd be stupid to pay $0.99 per song! That's expensive!"

My response of course was, "Well, I'd buy it online because downloading it for free is, ummm... you know... 'illegal'?"

"So?" they would reply.

Each had their own 'diatribe' on why they felt they had a so-called "right" to steal music. Many cited the Music industries 'fat-cat' ways stating the artist rarely sees more than a few pennies compared to the money the distribution companies get.

My own roommate is *CONVINCED* of this. I've tried explaning that in many cases, especially in Canada, it's not anywhere near that severe, but he outright disbelieves it, saying i've just fallen into the latest 'propaganda'.

They don't see it as wrong. They see it as a 'digital revolution'. It boils down to the "Money for nothing and your chicks for free..." mentality.

It's not alot different from Software or Video Piracy. But people just don't see it.

And like many PC users that cite not switching to the Mac only because it's over-priced just don't get it.

:cool:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts