Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this is new in the Beta 2, but it's new to me, so let me share:

On any webpage, highlight a word or phrase.

Right-click (or Control-click for those of you who have not yet abandoned apple "Pro" mice... and what the heck is "Pro" about it, anyway?)..

er.. sorry.. off-track there for a minute.

Right-click on the highlighted text for a contextual menu.

Choose "Google Search"

Now <u>that's</u> useful!

:D
M

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
It was called the "Pro" mouse, because it was the remake of the round-crap-mouse, and was also optical.

Sorry, not to carry one the off-topicness of this topic. :D

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Hey, that is a pretty cool feature. Wish the google search would open in a seperate tab or window though.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Go to google preferances in the search page and you can set google to open locations in a new window. The preferences are right on the page not in a drop down menu.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
looks like this also works in Beta 1.0 - I just tried myself. That's pretty fresh

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
I'm still using Camino...I find that safari still has problems with certain pages I frequent. Like Future shop's for example.

Does anyone else have anyproblems with it?

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Yep... I have issues with FS website in Safari - but I'm on v60. Have not d/l'ed the new vers. :( I have to jump into IE just to see it properly. :mad: Not a huge deal - but an annoyance nonetheless.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The Google search feature is pretty nice, yes, but I rather like this bit:

If you highlight a URL in a webpage text (doesn't need to be a link), it gives you another menu option: Go To Address. This provides a nice, convenient way to, well, go to the address.

Cheers,
Podboy

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
futureshop.ca is still broken in Safari Beta 2. I keep meaning to file a bug report, but I never actually get around to it....

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Wow, thats a cool feature, I'll have to use it some time. Makes cross referencing or defining a word easy!

And I still use a Pro Mouse. It works. Wish I had a scroll wheel, but I survived all those years of OS 6,7,8,and 9 without one, I think I'm OK.

·
Registered
344 Posts
"Yep... I have issues with FS website in Safari - but I'm on v60. Have not d/l'ed the new vers. I have to jump into IE just to see it properly. Not a huge deal - but an annoyance nonetheless."

I have trouble with the FS site as well. I'm using the newest version (i think) of safari. I have reported the bug.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm surprised nobody ever mentions the IE scrapbook. I love Safari, but have to keep going back to IE to save pages into a scrapbook. When I save a page, I don't just want the text, I want the entire page, graphics and all.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Mississauga,

If you drill down deep enough into the FutureShop website, some links stop working. For example, on this page, the links on the left (accessories, calculators, etc) don't work unless you open them in a new window or a new tab.

·
Premium Member
17,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
...and a not-so-cool feature....

The new beta has one annoying characteristic that the previous version did not, at least on my Tangerine iBook: when scrolling line-by-line (via single-clicks on the scroll arrows, or using the arrow keys), I get a "duplicated" line on the screen, even to the point where a button ends up being located not where it appears to be. Very weird.

Scrolling another line or two straightens it out, but it's a bug on my machine (X.2.5)

M.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts