Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else able to reproduce the following?

In the Finder, drag a file (click and hold and drag) on your desktop towards the left-hand edge of the screen. As you get very close, release the mouse button, the screen scolls to the right, making more room to deposit the file. The problem is that the right hand side doesn't scroll in the same way so that files near the edge disappear (and you have to log out/in to be able to get to them). This is in OS X 10.2.3 and it works if you drag to the top of the screen too.

Virtual desktop panning has been implemented before but this seems more of a trap than a feature...

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Very interesting, it works but is definitely a trap more then a featur in my opinion...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Probably has something to do with the resolution of the monitor, and that the coordinates (0,0) are in the upper left-hand side.... but for some reason the OS doesn't know how large the desktop really is.... interesting indeed!

·
Registered
762 Posts
That's happened to me!! :eek:
But the name of the file was big enough that it stuck just out at the side of the screen and I could drag it back.

·
Registered
237 Posts
It's a bug.

Seems that the desktop is inheriting the drag to the edge and scroll behaviour of windows. (Isn't object oriented programming great?)

John

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
used to be jwoodget wrote:
Anyone else able to reproduce the following?

I tried it, and I can't reproduce it. Ack!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Further to the thread:

It's a Finder bug, and it's fixed for a future "minor" update.

You can also get your icons back by selecting the desktop and choosing View > Clean Up (with no icons selected), or by choosing any of the View Arrange > by XXX items.

Hope that helps...

John

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
I have had this many times on the left and right of the screen, never erally knew why though!

Heres a good one, in 10.2.3 when I hit return to change a file name, it dissapears (The name, not the file). This happens in list and column view, but if I go to icon view, do it then go back to another view it works. Anybody else have this?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts