Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our office has Microsoft office 2007 and I use Office 2004 on my macbook. When I receive a file, a dialogue box pops up asking me to convert file from

Text Only
MS-DOS Text
Rich Text Format (RFT)
And so on.

I tried to open the file with every option and I just get a bunch of foreign looking text. Is it because Office 2007 is not compatible with 2004?? Or is there a setting that will change the type of file my office is sending instead of .docx (I have never heard of this file type) Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Forgot to say that you can easily output backwards-compatible documents from Office 2007 using the Save As command. Just open the flyout menu beside the Save As command in the new Office menu and pick the format you want.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Planders... This is great info. Is there a free program to use. If not I guess I will have to break down and purchase this program. I would just hate to if this will be fixed in a few months but I do need this now..lol.
I think Microsoft's import filters will be free, but they won't be available before fall.

The bright side of MacLink is that it converts among a metric buttload of different formats, including many obsolete ones--great for accessing old files.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
You could also ask people on MS Office 2007 to send you the file in Office 2004 format.
They should do that anyway if they communicate with anyone in the outside world.

·
Registered
586 Posts
The Office 2007 import filters for Mac Office aren't available yet, but are supposed to be made available in a couple of months.

You can use MacLink Plus to convert the files.
They will most likley come out after Office 2008 for Mac comes out. Bill Gates is hopping that everyone will rush to the store to buy Office 2008 to be able to read those files.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I've received a few of these docx files lately, and if all I need to do is read them I use this widget. You grab the file, launch dashboard, and drop it in the window and it makes it into an html file. Not ideal if you need to edit and return the file (which is probably your case), but quick and easy for just knowing what it is they're sending you before you hunt them down to send you a compatible version...
Convert .docx files to .txt
Plus, it puts ads right in there for extra reading material ;) ... yeah, it's free, k?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Broken link

It's been a few months since the link to the converter was posted and I now get an error message.

The new beta version 2.0 link is:
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downlo...mac/download/Office2004/ConverterBeta_0_2.xml
It will expire december 31, 2007.

Some PC-people are not really paying attention to Mac users, they just keep on pushing the yes button and saving to whatever file format microsoft wants them to use...

·
Premium Member
6,427 Posts
Microsoft has a converter program that will translate docx to regular word format, and it is a free download from them, and it is written for the Mac. (I can't recall the pointer to the site, but you can easily Google it.)

It is unknown at this time if the Evil Empire will be able to go to the docx format. The EU has rejected it, so no one in the EU will have it in their products, and most corporations have also rejected the format simply because of the cost of converting hundreds of thousands of documents to the new format. But they do have a conversion program, and it does work, at least on the two test documents that we tried here.

Best to stay away from these kinds of proprietary formats, as the docx format is XML, and hence, it is really just for Internet use only, and not really a good fit for actual productive word processing (which is something that the Evil Empire has long lacked anyways.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts