Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Contest #1 (WINNER ANNOUNCED!) - Missing Manual: Panther

3K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  neema 
#1 ·
One of ehMac's Sponsors for our Macworld San Fran 2004 coverage is O'Reilly, makers of the best Mac books on the planet.
The excitement is just beginning as we're kicking off our first contest! (Be sure to check back at our special Macworld Forum often for many other exciting contests!)

We'll also be at the show covering some of the many O'Reilly events at MW SF which will include presentations by David Pogue and Derrick Story.

Our first prize is for Mac OS X: The Missing Manual - Panther Edition

To enter the contest, simply send an email to contest@ehmac.ca answering the following question:

Question: This new authoritative book will appeal to both ____________ & ____________ users alike.

Click here to purchase this book from Amazon.ca! A portion of your purchase will go towards supporting ehMac.ca!

Please include your ehMac screen name in the email. Contest only open to ehMac members who are Canadian residents. If you're not an ehMac member, you can register for free! Click the Free Register link on your top left. ehMac Members may only enter the contest once. Winner will be selected from members who submitted the correct answer via a random draw on Monday, December 22nd and will be notified by email and also disclosed in this post. Prize is (1) copy of the book Mac OS X: The Missing Manual - Panther edition which will be shipped to winners location anywhere in Canada. No purchase is necessary.

[ January 04, 2004, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: ehMax ]

See less See more
#6 ·
Five if you add yours truly.

In literacy education, do you know what the strategy is called when certain words are deleted from a context such as "Question: This new authoritative book will appeal to both ____________ & ____________ users alike."???

#8 ·
ehMax, et al, it is called the "context cloze procedure". Effective readers automatically place words which are syntactically and semantically acceptable in this context. Then, they utilize grapho-phonic cues (aka phonics) to confirm this speculation. This is why reading is oftentimes called a "psycholinguistic guessing game".

#10 ·
ehMax, it is actually quite simple and you have been doing it since the age of two or three. Syntactic cues are founded upon our understanding of English grammar. Thus, from the sentence "I like to eat _____ ." will come an automatic thought about a thing (i.e., a noun). Then, semantic cues take over, with this being a noun (i.e., a thing) that you like to eat. Therefore, if the first thought was a "hammer", the second thought is that hammers are not something you like to eat, thus, this does not make sense. You might have said "hammers" because this is what the word initially looked like at first glance, but then you realize that the word is "hamburgers". Effective readers utilize automaticity of syntactic (i.e., grammar) and semantic cues (i.e., the meaning of words), and this process takes less than 1/8 of a second. Phonic analysis takes the most amount of time, which is why "word by word" readers, those people who slowly sound out every word, are not effective readers, since they usually don't understand the meaning of the sentence, let alone the passage.

So endeth the lesson.

#12 ·
Panther, Suitcase X1, QX6, Adobe CS {Id3, PS8, Illy 11, Acrobat6}, backend In-Rip workflow, Dynastrip...

All at the same time, no printed manuals, no training, no downtime in the workday to read PDFs...

If anyone has money to invest, consider publishers of 3rd party manuals. I think this is going to be a growth industry.

This missing maual looks great.

#14 ·
Mannyp, the words also have to be in a syntactically correct sentence as well. The effective reader also reads 3 to 5 words ahead of their oral reading. Have someone let you read aloud for a couple of sentences and then suddenly cover up what you are reading with their hand. You shall be able to say the next 3 to 5 words that are in this sentence but covered by this person's hand.

#23 ·
Thanks everyone! I just got back from Mexico tonight, opened my inbox and got the news!! ehMac RULES!!! Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.