Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about the convenience of using Time Capsule to keep a time Machine backup without having to hook up an external drive all the time. Can't help but wonder if there's any new generations of TC on the horizon, since the last one was released June, 2013.

Any users here making much use of the TC? Can one easily install a larger drive in them?

From what I understand, you can do the initial backup over ethernet and then let wi-fi do its thing on the rest. Is this correct?

Any comments are welcome.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
In my case, I simply bought an Airport Extreme. They have a USB port and I plugged a 3 TB external HD into it and it backs up my MBP with ease. Just be aware the first time you set up TM, it can take many hours to complete the first backup. I love not having to plug in and run every day. It just works now and my setup was far cheaper than a Time Capsule.

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the 5th gen Airport Extreme. I believe there was is one released following that which looks the same as the TC. Will an external drive work with the 5th gen? If so, I might consider that.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Far as I know, if it has a USB port, it should work would be the conclusion. You could always test it to be sure. Mine is the one that looks like a Time Capsule.

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just tested 2 of my external drives connected to my Airport Extreme and I can see them with no effort. Time Machine is now backing up to one of them that already has a TM backup on it from yesterday. Just saved myself a few hundred bucks. I'm going to play around more with Time Machine Editor to configure when and how often TM does its thing.

TimeMachineEditor

Just wish the AE had 2 USB ports to keep my printer connected for wireless printing. Does the newest AE have more than one USB port?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Never tried it, but perhaps a USB hub would accomplish your printer issue? Some are very small while others are powered. I have always had better luck with the powered version, but YMMV.

Good that your current device is working like mine.

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If my hub was connected to my AE, would the hard drive still mount when connected to the Hub?

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
If my hub was connected to my AE, would the hard drive still mount when connected to the Hub?
i heard it would and btw i use time machine editor all the time.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Yes. I have three USB drives and a printer hooked up to my AE via a non-powered hub. My drives are all have their own power.

If one were using multiple USB powered drives (i.e.: portable 2.5" drives), a powered hub might be in order.

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
I've been thinking about the convenience of using Time Capsule to keep a time Machine backup without having to hook up an external drive all the time. Can't help but wonder if there's any new generations of TC on the horizon, since the last one was released June, 2013.

Any users here making much use of the TC? Can one easily install a larger drive in them?

From what I understand, you can do the initial backup over ethernet and then let wi-fi do its thing on the rest. Is this correct?

Any comments are welcome.
The advantage of TC over using a express/extreme with a USB drive is speed, USB2 is rather slow.

TC doesn't care what interface you connect from. So you could do your initial backup via ethernet.

There hasn't even been a firmware update in ages, i think Apple network hardware is going to go the way of Aperture, personally.

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The advantage of TC over using a express/extreme with a USB drive is speed, USB2 is rather slow.
I'd agree with you on that. I found TM still chewing away at my backup after 10 hours. Might not be the best solution for me. One thing I don't get is that, since the last backup, I've hardly added any new files or data other than a few this and that. What is TM working so hard at? With Time Capsule, is it that much faster?

Another thing....I have some friends who tried out their Time Capsule (last gen) and said, even after the initial backup, their internet came to a crawl when TM was working. I suggested TM Editor to change the time it's backing up.

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
I'd agree with you on that. I found TM still chewing away at my backup after 10 hours. Might not be the best solution for me. One thing I don't get is that, since the last backup, I've hardly added any new files or data other than a few this and that. What is TM working so hard at? With Time Capsule, is it that much faster?

Another thing....I have some friends who tried out their Time Capsule (last gen) and said, even after the initial backup, their internet came to a crawl when TM was working. I suggested TM Editor to change the time it's backing up.
Well, you would need to ( I imagine ) mount the remote Disk Image, read the catalogue, write whatever has changed, and possibly verify, all at 480mbps. Even a 1GB delta would be rather slow. Where the Time Capsule is eSATA, so in theory the only bottleneck is the network. Plus it's a server grade drive.

Haven't noticed any slowdowns on mine while backups are going on. But, consider that it might not be the network connection that's slowed, mdworker can be a resource pig while backups are running.

On the other hand, TC hasn't been refreshed in 3 years... not sure it's a wise investment.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts

If you look back, I warned you of this in my initial post:

In my case, I simply bought an Airport Extreme. They have a USB port and I plugged a 3 TB external HD into it and it backs up my MBP with ease. Just be aware the first time you set up TM, it can take many hours to complete the first backup. I love not having to plug in and run every day. It just works now and my setup was far cheaper than a Time Capsule.
The time in my case for a first back up was nearly 24 hours. That for a MBP with a 1 TB HD and 630 GB free space. Once that was accomplished, backups happen each time I plug in my MBP to charge it. Once completed I shut down the machine. Backup times for updates no matter how much I have changed in files etc, are only minutes long. Of course if one adds a few movies, that will alter the times, but for normal document work, it is quick.

Again the first backup takes a very long time, but allow it to finish and your perspective of using the method will change.

Don't forget while the transfer is using USB speeds, it also depends on the speed of your WIFI connection, as everything is moving wirelessly.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts

TC doesn't care what interface you connect from. So you could do your initial backup via ethernet.

There hasn't even been a firmware update in ages, i think Apple network hardware is going to go the way of Aperture, personally.
all the extremes are i believe USB 2 - I personally avoid the all on in solution unless you have AppleCare.. yes you maybe right about apple hardware going the way of aperture.. there are great alternatives, for cheaper.
D link dir 868L - with an external USB 3 drive or USB3 hub..
the other issue with Apple wifi products are that they limit to 50 devices - concurrent wifi connections. For some that maybe fine but for others that is limiting - remember - you are paying a premium price to be restricted.. Plus most third parties have better QOS, Firewall, LOG options.

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you look back, I warned you of this in my initial post:[/B]
If you read my post a bit more carefully, you'd see that I already had a TM backup that I was working with. It wasn't an initial, first time backup.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
This looks like a nice setup...pricey for the unit without any drives.

Drobo 5n, Drobo 5n Review, Drobo Storage Products, Drobo Inc.

So, it's an ethernet connection to one's router. Is there a manual way of connecting to a Mac, either USB or mini-display port? Presently, I am connecting external drives to my MBP's mini-display port with a FW 800 to mini-display adapter.
You can get a direct connect model, but Mini DisplayPort does not carry data - it can only be used for video/audio. Thunderbolt carries data, but there is no Drobo with a Thunderbolt connection and a network connection.

If you want USB and Thunderbolt, you'd need to get this:
Drobo 5D, Drobo 5D Review, Drobo Storage Products, Drobo Inc.

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So basically, with the Drobo 5N, I either buy into ethernet network only or USB and Thunderbolt, but not both. With the USB, connecting it to my AE USB, I'd be back to square one with slow transfer speeds. How much difference would there be with ethernet?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts