Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
peek-a-boo
16,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the subject says. I seem to have had a knack with my last 2 macs for buying models that lose half their value within a few months. Something I never thought macs were supposed to do. So I'm asking if anyone knows of issues I should be concerned about, and if I should wait because it's likely this powerbook will be worth half in January. Thanks.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I think this is an anomaly related to the introduction of the long-awaited G5, after which virtually everything else was upgraded in a big way. My guess is that things will now settle down to the usual speed bumps and minor feature additions for most Macs.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Unfortunately, the top of the line models are the ones that take the biggest hit because the top end systems usually becomes the entry level of the next series that comes out. With the 17" your loss shouldn't be as big unless they bring out 2 17" models. With computers, you are going to lose. There are no winners! The longer you wait, the better system you are going to get for the same money but you will never get one because you are always waiting for the next revision. It's a fact of life. I don't think the powerbook will change again till next summer at the earliest but my crystal ball has been clouded in the past so who really knows?

If you need a system now, buy it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I just bought my 17inch MAC (the newer version) 3 weeks ago.. and I love it..

I was contemplating gettin the 15inch, thinking that the 17in might be too big.. I'm glad that I didnt..

I love the large screen and the faster processing power...

Email me if you have specific questions..

My advice: Buy the top of the line .. and get the 17inch

·
peek-a-boo
16,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your comments. I know all computers lose value, but my last two really took a major dive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts