Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a new Touch tomorrow. I have an airport base station at home to network my iMac and iBook and I want to get the Touch on board too.

I know that the Touch will look for a network. However, I've hidden mine using "create a closed network" in the preferences. How do I let the Touch in? Do I have to click off "create a closed network" first? If so, can I close it again after the Touch is connected?

If anyone can walk me through what I have to do, I'd really appreciate it. I don't usually have trouble figuring out computer stuff, but networking has given me some grief over the years.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You probably wouldn't have had any trouble if it was in your hands, but all you would do is select 'Other..' Type your wifi name and your key. Done.
Hmmm, interesting that it's that easy. Does this mean my network is not, in fact, hidden from anyone, despite the "closed network" setting? If so, what does "closed network" actually do?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Closed network simply prevents most OS's from displaying the network name in their list of available wireless access points. It does not provide any real level of security.

There are many applications out there which will show available access points (and their SSID/names) even if the network is closed (or, as other devices call it, SSID broadcasting is disabled).

I run my network "closed" as well, but I also use a very strong WPA2 key. I would recommend using encryption as your primary defense against unwanted use. Things like disabling SSID broadcasting and MAC address filtering are nice concepts, but they are also quite superficial at best (from a security standpoint).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm planning to get a Time Machine soon and my understanding is that it has pretty strong encryption.

Can I use Time Machine on OS 10.4? I plan to upgrade my computer later this year and will have 10.5 then, but I was thinking I might get Time Machine earlier. Will the auto backup work with 10.4, or do you need 10.5 for that?

·
Registered
578 Posts
You mean you're planning to get a Time Capsule, I assume.

You will be able to use it as a router, etc. And while the hard drive will be available as a network volume, you won't be able to use it as a Time Machine backup. If you're not planning to upgrade your OS until later this year. Wait until Snow Leopard (10.6) is release sometime in September. It'll save you a little bit of money.

You can use the Time Capsule for other things in the mean time.

FYI: If you do want Time Machine, you can purchase Leopard now and the upgrade cost will be about $29 USD to Snow Leopard. (I'm just letting you know so you have your options.) Personally, I like Leopard. Time Machine is a nice convenience (although I also use SuperDuper as another backup strategy.)

·
Premium Member
11,953 Posts
Keep in mind that the iPod Touch supports WiFi 802.11 b/g - but not "n". So if your WiFi network was going to run on 802.11 n, your iPod won't connect.
CubaMark's answer is somewhat incomplete, and thus could be misleading for non-nerds.

A Time Capsule router can be set to run ONLY in 802.11n, which is not currently compatible with the iPod Touch. It's a simple matter to make the network 802.11a/b/g/n compatible instead, so that non-"n" devices (like older computers and iPod Touches) can connect. Indeed, I believe the "all 802.11x devices" mode is the default.

·
Premium Member
18,010 Posts
chas_m was kind enough to phrase his refinement of my post within friendly language, which I accepted with a friendly jest in return, as evidenced by the very cute emoticon of laughter. As for you, rgray, let me just say.... ....persnickity..... :ptptptptp

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, I am a novice when it comes to these new networking devices. I managed to get my Airport working a few years ago and promptly stopped thinking about 802.11-type stuff. :) So I'm just now dusting off the grey cells that are earmarked for networking.

I am indeed relieved to hear the Time Capsule can be configured to work with all 802.11x devices and will work with my Touch.

JustAMacUser: I won't be upgrading to the new OS until after September so I'll be getting Snow Leopard. I think I'll likely wait for the Time Capsule too, since I don't have Time Machine on OS 10.4. (I think I've got the terms right this time. Time Capsule=hardware, Time Machine=software?)

I hope I'll be able to connect my Touch tomorrow without any hassles.

Thanks to everyone for helping me out with this.

·
Registered
578 Posts
You probably wouldn't have had any trouble if it was in your hands, but all you would do is select 'Other..' Type your wifi name and your key. Done.
Just one question -- by "key", do you mean the password I've assigned to the network, or something else?
Yeah, Flipstar means the encryption key for the wireless network; if you entered one into the router when setting up the wireless portion.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, Flipstar means the encryption key for the wireless network; if you entered one into the router when setting up the wireless portion.
I can't recall anything about an encryption key but it was several years ago so I may have forgotten. I do know there's a password and I do remember that. I'm still not clear whether we're talking about two different things here.

Sorry for my ignorance. I hate trying to figure out networking issues.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I can't recall anything about an encryption key but it was several years ago so I may have forgotten. I do know there's a password and I do remember that. I'm still not clear whether we're talking about two different things here.
If you have to enter the password at some point when connecting to your wireless network (typically the first time, as after that it would likely be saved) then yes, it's the same thing.

Sorry for my ignorance. I hate trying to figure out networking issues.
Don't sweat it. Everyone has to start somewhere; that's what these forums are for.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.