Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'Visitors to Google Earth can inspect almost every square centimetre of the city of 80,000, which has become the world's most active supplier of geographic data to the mapping search engine service from the U.S. portal site.

Nanaimo's achievement is due to the efforts of a team of computer technicians at city hall who have spent the past two years uploading data, aerial photos and computer code to Google Earth.

During its first year Nanaimo's maps looked fairly blurry, but these days 10 centimetres on the ground in Nanaimo equals one pixel on Google Earth – significantly higher resolution than maps covering the rest of the world. Google Earth estimates that about 30 per cent of the world's surface has been mapped, and only 50 per cent of that has resolution that is more detailed than one metre a pixel.'
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070806.wnanaimo06/BNStory/National/home

·
Palindromic Pooch
10,621 Posts
She's not kidding. The detail is amazing. Here's a residential block in Nanaimo, followed by a residential block in my neighbourhood, where, until today, I thought the quality was pretty good (both images are from 200m elevation).

Nanaimo:

Plant Building Land lot House Grass

Langley:

Building Water House Event Asphalt

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
I just checked the picts over my brother's house in TO they're ok you can almost see a couple of his Mini's in the backyard but those of Nanaimo are just amazing.

Laterz :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts