Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
I was wondering what mac everyone was using and what they did on it/them?

I use a G4 350 AGP and a PB 667 DVI for illustration and graphic design work. (The G4 is slowing down and will need replacing in the near future)
I will look into a G5 1.8 in the new year if all goes well.

How about you?

Robert

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Currently using an iMac DV 400 - mostly for web work, word processing, chatting and other small work projects, along with listening to music. I'll probably put a DVD-ROM into it in the near future to turn it into a entertainment system while I'm at it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I use an iMac 800mhz at home. My usual tasks include: playing Age of Empires 2, listening to music through iTunes, checking e-mail with Mail, lite surfing with Safari, and a lot of DV editing using Final Cut Express.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
iMac 15" FP 800 mhz & iMac G3 400 DV.

Graphic & multimedia design, 3d modeling and animation, Flash, illustration, motion graphics and video production...

... and the occasional game of Medal of Honor & WWII online. ;)

Currently saving my pennies for a dual G5.

·
Registered
523 Posts
My main axe is a PB G4 667 with 1g RAM. I work in the sciences, most of my tasks involve text editing/word processing, email, www surfing but I also do a bit of programming. Not programming like most would use the term - in building applications - but rather to produce "models": simulations of the real world expressed as mathematical equations automated in code. This can bog down a computer faster than any video game in many cases (think Virgina Tech G5 supercomputer). Depending on the task I use the programming languages python or VisualBasic. I use VirtualPC a lot for the VisualBasic editor in Excel 97 (which, sadly, is still better than the editor in Excel v.X). I also do a bit of simple graphics work, just minor editing and arranging of digital images taken from microscopes. Oh, and statistics, I'm always running stats. Yuk.

THe PB is up to most tasks. I really notice the speed difference when I get on my wife's 1gHz iMac, though.

·
Registered
273 Posts
G5 1.6 Ghz @ home. I do the usual things like check my email and surf. I run photoshop & Video Edit. I like to use my MAC as a juke box as well. I've ripped pretty much my entire CD collection to mp3 files and use iTunes. I rip them at 192 kps for better quality audio. I also run REASON & CUBASE for my audio editing.
--------------------------------------------------
"His name is Robert Paulson." - Fight Club

·
Registered
454 Posts
Blue and White G4 550 1 Gb ram
G4 Powerbook 800 mhz 768 mb ram.
G4 DP867 640 mb ram

All are used for video editing using Final Cut Pro 3/4 and the other basic stuff, itunes, safari, office, and sometimes games.

:D

·
Registered
153 Posts
eMac 700 .. i mostly use it for playing the odd game of Civ3, Aliens vs Pred 2 , or Bauldur's gate.. and surfin the net..

·
Registered
106 Posts
iMac 15" FP 800 and tray loading Bondi Blue iMac
fp running 10.2.8 and bondi blue running 9.2.2
bondi blue is used by the kids for Chatting and surfing and word processing
Flat panel I use for surfing, creating vcd's,cd's and checking email

·
Registered
438 Posts
I'm running 3 systems currently:

- My PMG4 MDD Dual 867 w/ 768mb, ATI 9000, ext. DVD-RW, Dual-CRTs: 17" + 15"
- My PBG3 Lombard 333 w/ 512mb
- My iMac G3 350 w/ 128mb

I mainly do the usual surfing and email deal. I do have a lot of games that I play on my G4 from time to time... right now, I'm playin UT2003, Oni and Freedom Force. I also do some music composition stuff on my G4 using DP4 and Reason 2.5. My laptop is pretty much to watch tv shows and movies on the road. I hardly ever use my iMac anymore... it's just in my bedroom if I ever need it for something or other.

=D neema

·
Registered
535 Posts
My Primary:

G4 533 1.5gig 120meg hd 60gig D2 30gig prtable firewire.
Used for work, graphics, mostly Illustrator and PS
and some Final Draft.

Also iBook 600 and 450 Cube

·
Registered
227 Posts
i have a 700mhz imac. i use it for the usual stuff but i make posters and tattoo flash. i draw the image, scan it, colour it through photoshop, and take it to be printed via my ipod.

i have never been happier since being introduced to macs.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
I have a G4/400 AGP which I use for e-mail, surfing and digital painting with Painter8. I also use Photoshop for some of my artwork.
I'm in the market for a G5 sometime in the new year. My old machine can't handle the demands of Painter.

·
Registered
221 Posts
PB G4 800MHz used for capturing images with a phase one H10 camera back in studio and on location.
G4 Dual 867 MDD/23" cinema display used to process captures and for color and retouching.
B&W G3 for surfing,

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Sawtooth G4, originally 400 MHz. Upgrades: 800 MHz processor, Radeon 8500 video, SuperDrive, 80 GB Seagate hard drive, 48X Lite-On CD-RW in external FireWire housing, Canon N676U scanner, Epson 777i printer.

What I do with all this goodness is Web design, graphics, some DTP, audio digitizing, word processing and database constructing.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
2 x MDD G4-1.25(single)/1Gb/2x80GB, 17" LCD, RME Hammerfall sound card, Logic Audio, OS9 and OSX.

Also one iBook-900/640MB/40GB also for Logic Audio - only had it for a couple of months. this thing surprizes me at how capable it is! and fun.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Blue & White 450mhz G3 used only for audio recording with Pro Tools.

800mhz iBook used for schoolwork, email, internet, etc.

·
Registered
143 Posts
G4 Cube 450 & 17" LCD Apple Studio Display for surfing, writing, iLife, Photoshop

G4 tower 733 QS for audio, ATI 9000 for dual monitors, RME Hammerfall DSP card and multiset box, Cubase SX and Nuendo on OSX - hoping to upgrade this to a dual proc after the new year.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts