Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was driving by our local mac reseller here in town while on my way to my GMC dealer.. anyways.. it looks like CompuSmart has a big sign where the old store used to be.. so i'm thinking they may have got bought out and CompuSmart moving in.. anybody ever deal with these guys? they can't be any worse than the previous store (whom i would imagine they retained a lot of the same staff)

oh i suppose i'll take a visit down there tomorrow morning
see if they got anything good

·
Registered
227 Posts
i went to compusmart in calgary and it seemed to me that macs were there "just 'cause". i heard a lot of "uh...maybe", and "our mac guy doesn't work today...i could tell you all about the other ones". anyway i went back the next day to talk to the "mac guy" and all he could tell me was how many macs he ever owned and he wouldn't buy a new one, just fix up an old one. but this was in calgary.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The one down here is actually quite good. The Macs are in the front of the store, as soon as you come in. They don't have tons of stuff, but all the Apple Hardware is well represented. And the guys they have "hovering" that section really do know they're stuff.

The rest of the store is actually Mac-friendly also, if you take a second to notice, they actually label peripheral with "Mac friendly" or something of the like. I haven't seen many big box stres do that for Mac, ever.

There are better retailers in the GTA however. Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
If you're talking about the downtown location, they have cut the mac floorspace in half, and the "mac guy" no longer works there. I work in the building. Also they are overpriced, as I found out when I bought my itrip. Downtown wanted $80 while at the Kennedy Rd store I picked it up for $49.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
same old same old

just got back from my morning trip there and have they 1 iMac (15") and some iBook brochures.. still the same guys, but it seems to be more sales oriented

I suppose some things never change eh?

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
Heh...
CompuSmart...I bought my first modem there,
It was a Hayes 14.4 for $249.,Sold it later for $50.

Jeez...Those were the days,
There wasn't any Browser style Internet to speak of
back then (Unless you count the dial up BBS').

If it wasn't for Netscape...I'd probably be still using
MacWeb, Mosaic,Telnet and Ya NewsWatcher.

Dave :cool:

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
The Kennedy Commons store in Toronto is pretty good. They do seem to accept Mac users rather than try to convert them into Intelsexuals.

As for the Apple Zone, CompuSmart seems to do a good trade in iPods which are hardly "Macs" so Apple is appropriate. I bought my iSight from them - only place in the GTA I'd seen it. Same price as Apple.ca but instant gratification. They have a 17" powerbook on display too and hope to get G5s real soon. Their peripherals people are not Mac-ignorant either (for networking questions).

I've bought quite a few things there with the only bad experience being failure to honour a rebate that was clearly posted on a printer. I bought it elsewhere but after noting this issue on ehMac, I was offered a future discount (which I didn't claim - its the thought that counts).

In a lot of these chains, its the individuals that make the difference. It's not fair to generalize. I wish they'd stock more software and peripherals though.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Not that I mind CompuSmart, but I'm always surprised to find out that they're still an authorized Apple seller. The Ottawa location buries their Macs at the back of the store, on poorly kept shelves...to say nothing of their inventory of Mac-capable software. More to the point, I've had more than a few encounters with their sales staff who tend to steer me to WinTel machines.

With a little more effort and belief in their Mac products they would do well in the Ottawa market. Too bad, really.

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
CompuSmart is kind of like Future Shop - whether you get good Mac service or not depends very much on the individual you talk to - there's really no corporate culture of supporting Mac. You can tell that the overall company doesn't "get it" just by looking at their sign over the Mac area - it says something like "Apple zone," Explain to the PC drones that there hasn't been a computer called "Apple" for about ten years - the company is called Apple, the computer is called Mac or Macintosh. You will get a look of slack-jawed bewilderment more often than not. On the other hand, I guess they do hire some Mac people occasionally, because you will sometimes get a winner. It's all in the luck of the draw.

Cheers :-> Bill

·
Registered
693 Posts
I was in the Kennedy Rd location today. fairly nice setup there, and yeah, the pc dudes idiots. I went in there one day and a guy came up to me showing my a paper with their special on some PC not-so-laptop, and I said, "Thanks, but I'm a mac guy." he said fair enough, and asked if I've seen their powerbook display. Good enough for me. One interesting thing thou, I saw today that they still have an old iMac, not FS, for $1000.

·
Registered
691 Posts
The one downtown here is the same story.However they have a nice display of a Powerman,imac FP and Emac.Too bad they don't know what they do.

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
Maybe CompuSmart is not the ideal place for Mac aficionados, but it does give Apple products better exposure than most of the other large chains. At least a possible switcher has a chance to see a Mac in that kind of a store and unlike Future Shop, they are authorised to sell the high end models.

Personally I prefer to give independents my business or order direct from Apple (as I have done with the 12" PB), but I live in Toronto and have a large selection of dealers to choose from. In smaller communities, which do not have a large selection of dealers or none at all, a CompuSmart may be welcome.

·
Registered
433 Posts
the compusmart in victoria is quite good in terms of displaying macs... they're actually the first computer you see when you get into the pc section. And their "Mac Guy" used to work @ Westworld Computers (Mac only store) so he knows what he's talking about.

As for my current home (Vancouver), the downtown store is alright. Macs on display along a window, lots of marketing all over, but they lack in knowledge i find.

Phil

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
CompuSmart...I bought my first modem there,
It was a Hayes 14.4 for $249.,Sold it later for $50.
Haha, I was sitting thinking "man are you old" and then I remembered the first modem that I bought was a 1200 baud. I seem to remember being very impressed at the speed increase over the 300's that I had been using at school! I was worried about how fast I was going to fill up the 160K floppies that were the flavour of the day (they were pretty new school compared to the cassettes that I had been using).

I guess I'm the one that's old...

As for Compusmart content, I took my dad in the other day (he's in his mid 70's and has been a Mac user for about 7 years or so) and I was really saddened by the state of their Mac displays. A few years ago, they had a pretty good Mac area, but it's been slowly degrading since then...

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
LOL my first modem came with my 386 and was a 2400bps. I later upgraded to 14.4

As for Compusmart, well I went into the Apple Zone and the workers just gave me funny looks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts