Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone in the market for some severely overpriced, somewhat ancient (by today's standards) Mac Laptops and Desktops?

How about this iBook G4 for $1644
CompuSmart.com - Product Information - Apple iBook G4 - PPC G4 1.42 GHz - RAM : 512 MB - HD : 60 GB - DVD±RW - WLAN : 802.11b/g, Bluetooth - MacOS X 10.4 - 14.1" TFT 1024 x 768 ( XGA )

Or an eMac G4 for $1329:
CompuSmart.com - Product Information - Apple eMac SuperDrive - All-in-one - 1 x PPC G4 1.42 GHz - RAM 512 MB - HD 1 x 160 GB - DVD±RW (+R DL) - Mdm - MacOS X 10.4 - Monitor : 17" CRT

Or maybe you really want 2004-like power and are interested in a G5 Quad for $4209
CompuSmart.com - Product Information - Apple Power Mac G5 Quad - Tower - 2 x PPC G5 2.5 GHz - RAM 512 MB - HD 1 x 250 GB - DVD±RW (+R DL) - Gigabit Ethernet - MacOS X 10.4 - Monitor : none

Wow... Is this just old, old overstock? Or what? And why the heck is is SO pricey? With Creative Suite already being Intel-ified, what reason is there to pay more than Core2Duo prices for G4 and G5 hardware?

G

·
Not a big surprise. You see lots of this type of stuff in many of the larger retail outlets that sell macs too ... like the 3 year old and very dusty iMac sitting in the corner that no one knows anything about.

Did you notice that they all say "Available Soon. Order now to get in line." ... wow, that must be a LONG line at this point in time heh. Looks like someone just didn't bother removing these listings from when they were new and hot LOL.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
It's a problem with corporate stores. The people who make the decisions on mark-downs either don't know anything about what it's worth, or have wsome deluded mentality that 'somebody' might buy it.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think most of these prices are somewhat around the original MSRP for these products... but some of the products are 2-3 years old -- in tech terms a lifetime.

I also wonder... they all say "coming soon" -- maybe these are dummy entries -- as CS has had some decent deals on closeout Macs before, maybe when these are acutally in stock they'll drop the prices to reasonable levels?

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
30 Posts
I thought CompuSmart was going out of business for good last month? I figure they never took the time to update their catalog.

I stumbled on the Yonge St. store a few months back, and happily picked up their one and only MacAlly iMedia keyboard, and am quite happy with it! It's so hard to find normal sized keyboards these days for the Mac.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Yes, I believe all the shops except for those in Alberta and Quebec closed up.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The sales associates said they're closing the Retail stores -- to focus on corporate sales. The Parent company of CS isn't closing -- so the website is still up.

I'm wondering if some of this is old stock found in the store they closed? But would they really still have eMacs and iBooks?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.