Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

We're having difficulty compressing m4v files for emailing on our iMac 10-12.6. 180 mB. Photos 2.0.
I can follow the compress steps and all seems to be well. There is a message that the file is being compressed and it is saved as a .zip file but after the process it's still 180mB.

I do have Switch on this MBP but I'm not sure which format to switch to so that it's really compressed. And it would be nice if I could do it on the iMac.

Also looking for your thoughts on other ways to transfer big files. Beyond Dropbox.

Thanks

David

·
Premium Member
17,824 Posts
I do believe that M4v is already a compressed movie format, but we have several here who are more well versed in the video end than I am.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks lads.
I'm sure that searching, google or other, would yield info. It's not always my first impulse. Besides I do like this forum and going here just seems a more sociable way to go about it.

·
Premium Member
15,775 Posts
Besides I do like this forum and going here just seems a more sociable way to go about it.

OK, You might be interested to know from what I read that the free Handbrake.app is one of the few Mac applications that may be able to compress M4v files. Even those that are already compressed may be able to be compressed further.

I have no idea at what point Extra compression may affect the quality of the file. Maybe some experimentation is needed, Or maybe the information is in a Help file. 😉

HandBrake: Open Source Video Transcoder Various versions are available.

The most recent download and user comments.

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
42,594 Posts
If you just want to convert them to web-optimized MP4 using Handbrake they will be significantly smaller.

As eMacMan says, M4V is already a compressed video format, so there's no additional advantage to zipping them.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well that's confirmation of some info my wife came across. Handbrake highly recommended.
Thanks

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Patrick (if I dare) and others
And Handbrake is very nice. Good clear interface. Might have been useful to say "select and open file" instead of just open file to get started. After that, cake.
At 1080p, compression by Handbrake reduced m4v 181mB file to 89mB.
Compression at 480p reduced it to 40mB. No striking changes in quality. Manageable on gmail using googledrive.
A file size as efficiently transmitted by Dropbox as well ( for those who don't like to use google).
Very nice. And easy..

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,775 Posts
And Handbrake is very nice. Good clear interface. Might have been useful to say "select and open file" instead of just open file to get started. After that, cake.

I would have thought that was pretty standard Mac and general computer usage vocabulary to use, I'm glad you got it sorted out. 😉

That seems to be pretty substantial compression, especially compared to shrinking some PDF files with so-called compression software that barely even work.

It is interesting to see the amount of compression you were able to get with "No striking changes in quality." That sounds like a good way to store such files on a hard drive, and I am always amazed when I discover some people storing their photos at huge RAW file sizes. No wonder they run out of hard drive space so fast, and can they really tell the difference???

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hello all

We're having difficulty compressing m4v files for emailing on our iMac 10-12.6. 180 mB. Photos 2.0.
I can follow the compress steps and all seems to be well. There is a message that the file is being compressed and it is saved as a .zip file but after the process it's still 180mB.

I do have Switch on this MBP but I'm not sure which format to switch to so that it's really compressed. And it would be nice if I could do it on the iMac.

Also looking for your thoughts on other ways to transfer big files. Beyond Dropbox.

Thanks

David
Are these files to send to somebody just to view, or are they going to be using them for a project of some kind.

What I’m getting at is if it’s just to view them upload them to YouTube. YouTube will compress them a bit of course, but you can choose the compression level. If you were going to make them smaller to email they would be compressed anyway.

After uploading to YouTube there are also plug-ins you can use to download them back in a compressed format.

Or maybe I have no idea what I’m talking about. :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks.
They are to be used in the course of a online class my wife is teaching. So yes, they are to be used for a project.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts