1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

Mckitrick and I and perhaps a few others in the thread
http://www.ehmac.ca/anything-mac/81143-trashed-80gb-hitachi-hd-macbook-2.htmll

are interested to use the Unix app dd_rescue for platform-independent hard drive recovery.

Interesting links in that thread.

Sadly, I haven't a clue of how to compile Unix apps on the Mac - is it possible that some kind soul here could do that for us, so we can try it out?

many, many thanks,

Hal

·
Registered
578 Posts
I'm not too familiar with dd_rescue. However, you could boot off a OS X disc (put the disc in the drive and hold C during startup). When it boots into the installer, select Terminal from the Utilities menu. You should have access to the normal dd command which you would use to image the faulty drive to either another drive or an image to attempt recovery.

If you really need dd_rescue, I don't know that it needs to be compiled for OS X. Couldn't you just boot from a Linux system, connect the hard drive and attempt recovery? dd and dd_rescue are only moving raw data so file system compability isn't really an issue in this case.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We'd like to be able to simply run the dd_rescue app in Terminal - though would need to have someone who knows what they're doing, compile dd_rescue, because for some odd reason known to unix types, they don't bother distributing ready-to-run apps. AFAIK, people compile the code to work with their particular flavour of Unix.

Again AFAIK, for Macs, thats BSD Unix - umm - Berkeley Standard Distribution?

In any event, we would love to have someone who knows how to do this, help us out in this respect.

many thanks,

Hal

1 - 5 of 5 Posts