Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
42,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still running a 533 MhZ Dual G4 and with G5 prices tumbling, I'm looking at a G5 2.0 Ghz model.

I have no interest in running Windows, but was also considering the stock entry level MacPro with Two 2GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon at twice the price.

Any recommendations? The G4 is still fast enough to handle most Photoshop tasks, but starting to show its age when multitasking.

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
The 2.0 MacPro is a rip off as it's very little money for the 33% faster 2.66.

I'd say a G5 dual makes more sense = ram is far cheaper and no need to pop for CS3.

After switching back from MacPro Quad to G5 Quad then G5 dual I'm beginning to think GordGuide has a point about the Intel pipelines. Mind you all have had top end video cards - something we recommend.

No question the 8core is the most satisfying Mac ever - it's like having infinite torque in a car....but very few need the horsepower or the cost.

Even I've been surprised at G5 demand ....never stops. Hop on the G5 - nice box - good value - don't stint on RAM.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
How soon do you want to buy another new machine? If you don't mind doing it sooner than later, then get the G5. If you want a machine that's going to have more staying power then get the Intel machine. true, you might have to spend more on things like updated software but updated software, in most cases, is going to give you more features and power anyway.

Here is a performance comparison for a Dual G5 2.0 and a Dual Dual Core Xeon 2.0:

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/compare/?top=5600&bottom=3707

They are the same in many respects, especially when it comes to RAM, but as you can see in most of the single threaded test the Xeon edges out the G5, and in basically all the multi-threaded tests the Xeon hands abck the G5 its teeth.

And that's not even taking into account that developers, like Adobe, are starting to drop PPC support.

And don't be stingy with RAM no matter what machine you get ;-)

·
Premium Member
42,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Posterboy: I live in a two-Mac household, with computers changing hands every two years. The G4 would go to someone who websurfs and does a tiny mount of simple Photoshop work.

I would expect the G5 to suffice for about 18 months to two years before moving down the line.

·
OpenBSD Developer
500 Posts
I'm still running a 533 MhZ Dual G4 and with G5 prices tumbling, I'm looking at a G5 2.0 Ghz model.

I have no interest in running Windows, but was also considering the stock entry level MacPro with Two 2GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon at twice the price.

Any recommendations? The G4 is still fast enough to handle most Photoshop tasks, but starting to show its age when multitasking.
Go with a dual G5. It will be a great photoshop and multitasking system for you.

I use a dual G4 1.42GHz and its a great photoshop machine even for higher end work so a dual 2GHz G5 will scream.

In my opinion high end PowerPC systems are the best macs to have currently. More native app support and still plenty of power.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Buying a non-Intel Mac now is a foolish idea at best, unless you really need to save every spare dollar you have.

More native app support and still plenty of power.
Dwindling power in comparison, and more and more new software is being designed for Intel-based Macs only. In 2 years, all new major software will most likely lose support for PPC-based Macs as it will be seen as a waste of time and resources by the developers.

Even a 2.0 GHz Mac Pro is a much better investment than a Power Mac G5-anything. New unit warranty with AppleCare option (people in their right minds never fix a PMG5 out of warranty), better performer, and better support for "Leopard," as well as all new future software from any developer.

·
OpenBSD Developer
500 Posts
Buying a non-Intel Mac now is a foolish idea at best, unless you really need to save every spare dollar you have.

Dwindling power in comparison, and more and more new software is being designed for Intel-based Macs only. In 2 years, all new major software will most likely lose support for PPC-based Macs as it will be seen as a waste of time and resources by the developers.

Even a 2.0 GHz Mac Pro is a much better investment than a Power Mac G5-anything. New unit warranty with AppleCare option (people in their right minds never fix a PMG5 out of warranty), better performer, and better support for "Leopard," as well as all new future software from any developer.

Sorry but I totally disagree. You are looking at things in a narrow way. Are you forgetting Apples history of long term hardware support? Quad G5's just came out in 2005 which is not long ago at all. PowerPC has a strong presence in the Unix world outside of OSX.

I would be willing to bet $1000 that PowerPC support will still exist for OSX and at least 70% of mac apps in 5 years. You can quote me on that..

I am not against Apple going intel but I am very much a PowerPC guy and will use them till I can't anymore.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
You are looking at things in a narrow way. Are you forgetting Apples history of long term hardware support?
You mean like how every version of OS X is non-supported on more and more relatively decent machines?

You mean like how 10.2 had features that weren't supported on machines they were will selling?

You mean like how 10.4 had features that weren't supported on machines that were less than a year old?

Forgive me, Apple may have supported older machines in the past, but in the days of OS X they only really support the latest and greatest.

I would be willing to bet $1000 that PowerPC support will still exist for OSX and at least 70% of mac apps in 5 years. You can quote me on that..
I'd be willing to bet that a lot of apps are universal for some time to come but given that Adobe is already shipping software that is Intel-only, does it really matter if the majority of apps are universal if the few you actually need are not?

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Posterboy: I live in a two-Mac household, with computers changing hands every two years. The G4 would go to someone who websurfs and does a tiny mount of simple Photoshop work.

I would expect the G5 to suffice for about 18 months to two years before moving down the line.
Hey, as long as you're willing to keep upgrading as necessary it doesn't really matter does it?

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that a lot of apps are universal for some time to come but given that Adobe is already shipping software that is Intel-only, does it really matter if the majority of apps are universal if the few you actually need are not?
FWIW, for projects made in XCode it's possible to build the application in 4 architectures, PPC, PPC_64 (G5s), x86, and x86_64 (Xeon and Core 2 Duo) by simply checking off checkboxes (doesn't mean it will work correctly however). So my opinion is that most shareware won't have a problem running on older PPC hardware for several years coming unless they start using features in Leopard that turn out to be Intel only (none that we know of yet).

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Posterboy:

I bought my B&W G3 in 1999 and its supported by Tiger. 8 years old.. and for most people it would run tiger plenty fast enough.
Yes, but how does QuartzExtreme or CoreImage run o that default Rage video card?

Yes, Tiger runs on my iBook G3, but not very well. If you want to use the latest and greatest toys though, you gotta have the latest and greatest machines.

·
OpenBSD Developer
500 Posts
Yes, but how does QuartzExtreme or CoreImage run o that default Rage video card?

Yes, Tiger runs on my iBook G3, but not very well. If you want to use the latest and greatest toys though, you gotta have the latest and greatest machines.
It actually has been upgraded with a flashed pc radeon 7000 that I got on ebay for 18. I have Quartz extreme enabled via the PCI extreme hack. It has also been upgraded to a G4 600MHz. I mostly use it as a bit torrent machine. For most people it runs Tiger at a great speed.

Some need the latest and greatest and most don't. I consider myself a pretty serious geek and I find my Dual G4 1.42GHz to be all the power I need and then some when it comes to heavy tasks with current apps.

Apple didn't switch to intel because PowerPC isn't capable enough nor because they want to stop supporting them. They switched because Motorola and IBM were not producing the types of cpu Apple really wanted. Hence IBM's total inability to make a portable G5.

Also remember that at least 75-80% of Apples current install base is on PowerPC still. It would cause a huge revolt against Apple if they dropped support before the next 4-5 years.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
It actually has been upgraded with a flashed pc radeon 7000 that I got on ebay for 18. I have Quartz extreme enabled via the PCI extreme hack. It has also been upgraded to a G4 600MHz.
That's all well and good, but that's no longer a machine Apple would touch with a ten foot pole even if it was new.

I find my Dual G4 1.42GHz to be all the power I need and then some when it comes to heavy tasks with current apps.
They why are we even having this conversation? To repeat my previous advice, if you want a machine that'll last longer get the Mac Pro. If you don't mind upgrading more often then get the G5.

It would cause a huge revolt against Apple if they dropped support before the next 4-5 years.
I never said Apple would. It's the third parties you have to worry about.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Defintly go with the Mac Pro, It's gonna last you much longer than the G5 will in terms of usability and software support.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would just pick up a G5. There still powerful enough to do most basic tasks, the RAM is cheaper. And the prices are low. But, yeah, spring for CS3. I did, it pwns. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.