Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of any other backup utility that can back up individual files and folders all in one set like Apple's Backup 2? I usually use SilverKeeper, but you can only create a set for each file or folder you choose. You can't choose multiple files and folders for 1 set. Also, I'm not sure about this, but can Backup 2 do synchronization?

·
Premium Member
30,933 Posts
OS X I assume - if so the hunt still goes on. OS9 CopyAgent is terrific. :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
but can Backup 2 do synchronization
Not sure about a suitable substitute for Backup, but as far as your last question (above) is concerned, no, Backup 2 will only let you backup one computer.

I've had a little bit of success using the iDisk feature in .Mac to handle syncs. If you enable "create local copy of your iDisk" in System Prefs, you can drag and drop the folders you'd like to sync. Do this on one Mac and the other(s) will sync these files when they run their respective automatic syncs.

Two key drawbacks: since you're moving data through ,Mac I wouldn't risk syncing financial data or other sensitive material. Second, .Mac syncing is *slow* especially when you're dealing with big files.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I haven't known much about CopyAgent. If it is such a good backup utility, I wonder why the developer hasn't worked on getting an OSX version going. I'd love to find a utility that does it all that I can stick with. I really don't like the idea of paying $160+ a year for .Mac service, but then again, it does give you a place for a Homepage.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I use PsyncX, but it also backs up one folder at a time.
It does sync though, set time and options on how you want files backed up.

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input. I need to really hash these options over. I sure like Backup 2. As yuou'll notice, my avatar is now missing because I had it stored at a free host until the free time expired. Maybe .Mac is the way to go. By the way, does anyone know if you can actually produce your own web page design an upload it to your .Mac Homepage (such as designing it with Photo Time Saviour?).

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Yes, you can. You simply add a new subfolder within the "sites" folder. BTW Apple has a joint promotion for Macromedia's Contribute 2 (a low-end web editor) in which you can edit and post all within the application. You can also use .Mac to host a weblog and they give you a free copy of iBlog (blogging editor) to boot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts