Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here ever go to Comdex Canada, at the Toronto Convention Centre? Don'y worry about missing it. Its been postponed(?) again. Originally scheduled in early summer of each year, it was changed to September of this year. Its been changed again, to March of 2004.
Yepp! You guessed it. Seems that the Almighty U.S.of A. thinks we still have a SARS epidemic here. Just thought that you might like to know.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I attended last year's COMDEX and was thoroughly disappointed. I'd have to say it was the worst turnout yet.

The only things worth seeing were some overexcited Microsoft representitives drone on about .NET and some Ebay Canada stuff... and that's not saying very much.

I did find a distributor of some decent KVM equipment but that wasn't worth the afternoon. I had more fun at the Lone Star afterwards.

In all honesty, Toronto not getting COMDEX this year would not be a significant loss.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
amb, Toronto not comdex is not a loss to whom?? Ask the hotel ppl who are not working. Caribana® #s are down. You used to not be able to get a room anywhere near Toronto in past. This year, vacancies. SARS dealt a massive blow (old news I know). Hell, I took a slight blow in the line of work that I deal with reight now (apparel): the damagae has been far reaching. The Trade shows not coming is not good at all. This would be like LasVegas not getting half of the ones that they live off (and they felt it for a minute after 9/11). Anyhow, I've never been, but not getting it has to suck for many of the industries involved...

·
Registered
40 Posts
My apologies, I meant no disrespect to the industry in general, I merely was pointing out that COMDEX specifically is fairly insignificant in its draw to Toronto.

I do have good friends in the event planning industry in Toronto and in Montréal and I know that this is pushing their businesses to the breaking point. The Canadian Tourism Commission has had to lay off staff at the same time as working diligently to promote our cities to the country and to the world.

It is indeed a sad state of affairs but there is hope. This week's SARS benefit concert, while it didn't register much around the world, has done much to raise moral and show those that made the trip from south of the border and outside Ontario that Toronto is a safe and hospitable place. Let's just hope that it starts a trend for an upswing.

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
re: Carabana,

I think that the low attendance is not entirely a result of SARS. interest in the event has been on the wane for a couple of years -- I seem to recall the original organising committee badly mismanaged the funds it had been given and was replaced, and now the festival is less of what it was under the old management. The Stones concert probably took some of the wind from the sales (it's a pun, get it?) of Carabana. And don't forget the crappy weather.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I was registered as a Press attendee for last year's in TO, and cancelled 2 days before the show, after nearly everyone of my corporate sponsors notified me that they were not exhibiting.

Alas, it is once again this way this year. Not even Mississauga-based Samsung Electronics Canada is exhibiting for Comdex TO 2003. Like MacWorld Toronto, Comdex Toronto will go the way of the dodo bird.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
BloodyF - The mismanagement was always there - believe me - as my roomie was a consultant with the committee and other friends of mine dealt with the org every year (sponsors etc...). But one thing for sure is that many stayed away as the SARS reports OUTSIDE of Canada were blown right out of proportion. Many of the Americans who once flooded the streets stayed home. They used to come from all over by car (Texas, Louisiana, the Carolinas) and spent tons of $$. Bad weather or not, people come. But SARS? Killed it. We'll see next year...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The last time I enjoyed myself at Comdex, was about 5 years ago. They had a special show for Linux. Everything was "free". T-shirts, software on cd's, and even 5 or 6 variants of the Linux operating system itself. This year I was looking for their expo on security related matters.
Oh well! Thats the way of the Dodo.

·
Registered
113 Posts
SARS has nothing to do with Comdex not being here. Comdex has been hurting since the dotbombs and have been absent *worldwide*. As a matter of fact, most tech conferences have either scaled down or got cancelled altogether. MWNYC is a prime example. This year's show was 1/3 the size of previous shows. It will be interesting to see what will become of it next year.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am slowly switching over to Mac from PC's. Are there any equivalent shows that come to Toronto, exclusively for Macs?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts