Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much should I pay for colored iMacs 400mhz +

Im looking for 20 or so to send to Africa for a small internet cafe / Computer training center.

How durable are they , the environment would be air conditioned , but dusty and humid.

How user serviceable are they

Lastly , anyone selling/donating any or related printers / software

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
The "colourful" iMacs came in many different versions, and the 400 Mhz plus ones were and in some cases are still versatile machines. The 233 Mhz blueberry type would not be very useful now, but the 400 Mhz and above might still be good for basic purposes in that internet cafe. Some are still kind of rare, like the "flower power" and dalmation type iMacs, and the higher speed "Snow" and "Graphite" 500 to 700 Mhz ones still kick ass (if you ramp up the RAM to 1GB and install Tiger).

The all in one iMacs were convection cooled, and might be fine with humidity, but how good would any computer be where it is particularly dusty?

And they are all very heavy computers. How could you feasibly and reasonably transport 20 of them overseas?

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Shipping 20 CRT iMacs to Africa will cost you over $1000, maybe $2,000.
Make sure they are packed with lots of protection
Like any CRT iMac, the Ram, Hard drive and opticak drive are replacable.
If the screen, or other hardware goes then its not an easy fix.

Ive been through this before with people wanting to send computers to South America, central America, Africa etc. even sending a low end computer down is very, very expesnive and problematic.
and things like old laser printers can be gotten via free donations, but again very expensive to ship and what happens when its time to buy replacement toner cartridges?
You would also need routers, switches, power cables, powerbars, keyboards, mice . software installer CDs, extra RAM and hard disks for sure.
Also think about whether these will be running OSX or OS9, Im asuming X, so 256MB on a iMac 400 is a little skimpy, but I guess it would work ok with 10.3.9.
This is quite an undertaking indeed.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
I used to manage a mac lab for school composed of various G3 macs. Given the age of the machines you will probably have to replace the pram batteries otherwise the clock won't work and this can screw the system up. The batteries are about $10 each and t put them in takes about 30 minutes per computer.
Good point.
I find old computers to be pretty unpredictable on how long a battery lasts, they can last 4 years or 12 years.
Ive had 15 year old computers with working batteries.
I dont remember what they take but you might be able to scavange other computers for them if you have access to scrapped machines

·
Premium Member
17,998 Posts
teknikz, if you are successful with this, please post a followup down the line. Will be interesting to see how it develops. Much as I'm a Mac addict, my first inclination would be to go el-cheapo but more recent on the hardware side, not go with Macs, and use locally-available hardware for a full-Linux setup (Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Edubuntu).

But who am I to get in the way of someone who wants to spread the word of Mac? :p

Good luck.
M

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
teknikz, if you are successful with this, please post a followup down the line. Will be interesting to see how it develops. Much as I'm a Mac addict, my first inclination would be to go el-cheapo but more recent on the hardware side, not go with Macs, and use locally-available hardware for a full-Linux setup (Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Edubuntu).

But who am I to get in the way of someone who wants to spread the word of Mac? :p

Good luck.
M
I thought about sending Linux dells. But the shipping for a machine & crt are prohibitive

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
Shipping will be an issue. They are heavy, and bulky compared to LCD screens.

Heat can be an issue, some of those models have no fan, and rely on convective cooling. They're not really designed for use in ambient temps over 90 F. One thing that will happen is that the analog board will blow out, killing the video.

You can get the earlier models cheaply, the slot load models (350 MHz +) have more standard RAM DIMMs and can go to 1 Gb RAM. The Firewire (DV) models would be preferable, as the USB On these is 1.1 and is dog slow for backing up or restoring. In any educational setting, you definitely want to send an external hard drive with a bootable clone of the drive, which can be used to restore the OS and apps.

If you do look at Intel based PC's, there is an abundace of used Small Form Factor P2 and P3 machines from Dell and Compaq available that have come off of corporate leases. They are a bit larger than a Mini but way smaller than even a minitower PC.

·
Beaugeste
1,017 Posts
Imacs

Just a thought. 10 used Mac minis and Lcd screens would cost you a lot less to ship, and last longer than old Imacs. You might be able to pick up the minis for $300 a piece soon (whenever Apple announces an update or replacement to it's current line) and screens for $100. Still adds up to $4000 + shipping but you'd have machines that would last many more years and run OSX.
Also, make sure whatever you buy runs on 220V, or whatever the local voltage is. I don't think any of the Anglo African countries have 120Volts. Don't know about the others but pretty sure they use European standards

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
You know, considering this:

http://www.ehmac.ca/anything-mac/51653-macbook-nightmare.html

it's pretty cool the OP is sticking with Macs.

And this is kind of the Nigerian 'deal' in complete reverse: a local reliable (well, no feedback but no negative feedback also), known ehMac user is sending large Macs to Africa for computer training.

I'll echo the above remark about firewire: it makes OS installations a breeze on these machines. And the slotload optical drives were impressive.

But given the MacBook crack, tekniz must be wary about shipping computers 1000s of miles...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.