Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for recs for a color inkjet. looking to buy one today actually. For some of my artists, I want to be able to print a decent/good quality 8x10. I have the hi res digi cam, so why not?? I came from a demo where HP had a bunch that you could just insert the media card in (and it took several kinds). I like that.

I read some previous posts and the following were mentioned:

Epson C82, 880.
HP Photo 820
Canon i450

Anyone championing any others??

Thanks a mil!!

H!

·
Canadian By Choice
117,529 Posts
I have the Canon i950 and the photograph pics are excellent.

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
I'm still very pleased with the Canon i450 I bought last month. Text printing is quick & crisp, and 4x6" photos come out nicely on glossy photo paper. Haven't tried printing an 8x10" photo yet, but I will. Oh yes, I will.

For the type of printing you need to do however, you should probably look for a higher machine - the Canons i850 and 950 are nice indeed. Their individual ink tanks will give good results. I don't think either of these models accept media cards, though...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Why print your own pics?

With the cost of paper and ink and the cost of the printer it is soooooo much more expensive than professional developing,
and you can email them and then have them mailed back to you....
it only takes about 2 days?

Parousia

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
I hate to make this seem like a Canon cheerleading event, but I have a Canon i850 upstairs, and a Canon i450 downstairs. In the words of a recent MacWorld Ink-Jet comparison from their March 2003 magazine...
"The Canon i850 is the best all-around ink-jet we've ever seen."

So, I'd say the i950 is extremely wonderful, and the i450 is very nice too. I'm a very happy Canon owner today, and a bruised Epson owner from recent years. (the clogged nozzle nightmare) I'm still in counseling, and the medication seems to be helping. heh heh

Epson has exceptional prints, as always, and HP has many proponents too, but Canon is currently worthy of serious consideration.

-GW

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Parousia, why take my own pix?? Well, I've been playing around with digis for a number months now... (I'd even say years), and I promised myslef that I would get a hi powered digi to take some of my own - as I wanted to get back into design (light). On top of that, having a foot in this beleaguered music industry, we are trying to keep as much in house has possible ($$). But pls, tell me more about the emailing ops?? I just thought that I should at least have a uniton hand so that I may print a bio pic on demand.

Thanks though. :D

As with the overwhelming calls for Canon units, I'll have to go take a look. I really want to get one by this weekend. Will start to look around.

Thanks to all. ;)

BTW, these make up the HP line of photo printers that I was telling cats about. They offer some that do 4x6 exsclusively (and sorry, but they are so cute!! ;) ), and they also have larger sized ones. I must add that I love the mem card slot to go straight to print. I like that... .

H!

[ September 04, 2003, 08:44 AM: Message edited by: Ohenri ]

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
I got the Canon S520 last Xmas for $69. (That's after the rebate)
The printer is used daily for text and the occassional colour print, If I were you...I'd check the price of the cartridges first and then decide which printer has the best quality. (Compatibility is important too)

Speaking of the HP printers with the media slots, This idea is great if you can change the orientation of your photos in your camera, But...If you can't...Then you'll still need to use a computer to rotate your shots.
Also another thing to note, Printers that have media slots can't adjust the colour and brightness of your shots.

Dave :cool:

·
Registered
536 Posts
Man, as far as Printers go, Ink Jets are a rip off, Lower price but more expensive ink (High TOC). I Hate my Ink Jet, I paid 20 bucks for it as a deal with my iMac in 2001, a simple black Cartridge is 3 times the price of the printer after tax, and it runs out of ink fast, if artists are going to be using it, keep lots of ink on hand. Save up and buy a nice laser printer, They have slightly dropped in price, this will make you happier in the longrun. I can't express how much I hate ink jet printers!

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dolawren, good point. We must be able to re-orient the shots. Will check on that for sure. BTW, I've taken some stunning shots with my older S70, and colors were brilliant! SO no real correction was warranted - though screen and print can be/will be (?) different. We need to ask someone like Mississauga. Where you @??? ;)

H!

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Have had more than ample time to look at all the printers around at work, I have this to offer:

The Canon i950 is by far the best photo printer going at the moment, second only to the Canon i9100 (and that is only because the i9100 does large format paper, the print quality is the same, just on a bigger scale).

The Canon i850 is the best all around printer going, witht he Epson c82 a close second. If the photos are more important to you, get the i850, if the text is more important get the c82. The c82 is higher resolution, but it's main selling point is teh DuraBright inks that give laser longevity (as in fade, water and smudge resistance) to it's prints. It is excellent for text and also excellent for photos. The i850 offers stunning prints with a slightly lower cost than the c82 though, you get more ink for your money with the i850.

The HP printers are alright, certainly they make nice photos, but the current line of photosmarts uses a really small ink tank. HP also really tends to shine in the workhorse area of printing, not the photo area. While models like the PhotoSmart 7150/7350/7550 and DeskJet 5550 make nice prints, you will get better for your monehy with an Epson or a Canon. Also, the Photosmart 7550 (and the 1315 before it) have little LCDs on them, and when you print right from a media card you can do some basic stuff like re-orient images, set it up to print multiple images per page, or just simply preview your shots.

In the lower end, the Epson Stylus Photo 820 is simply superb. It will only set you back 100 bucks, and makes photo quality prints. Just ask Macnutt, he'll tell you. The ink cost is a little higher, but it uses a 6 colour process so skin tones, sunsets, sky, and many other things will look quite nice.

Still though, right now the Canon i850 is where it is at. It doesn't have media slots, but all the newest Canon printers can print direct from the newest Canon Digital Cameras. Another point is that the i850 is freaking fast. It will do a full quality, borderless 4x6 print in about 50 seconds. Which is fast, take my word for it. It also uses variable droplet sizes to mimic a 6 colour process (which works better than it sounds).

So that would be my recommendation. Hope it helps.

--PB

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
PB with the truth!

Well, I'm going to take a look at all these options - that C82 sounds pretty nice. Maybe I'll walk with my digi and see what I can print on the spot. I was going to look in to cartridge costs as well actually. I know all too well about expensive parts. I owned a VW after all. ;) I was gonna look @ that HP Photosmart 7350 as I found one on sale for $100 off.

Another (quite trivial) reason that I'm looking to get a color unit is to create my own little tees!! Yeah... sounds childish but I work in fashion (that's right).

But thanks to all for the feedback. ehMac to the rescue.

H!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Just keep in mind the cost of printing your own pics.

It is easily double the price for printing them at home.

I have a Canon i450 and it does print pictures very nice, but in the end the exorbant price for ink and the high price for good paper just makes it to expensive unless it is something that just can't wait.

I have a 4 megapixel Canon that I bought to get into the digital arena. I have taken about 4 gigs of pics since I bought it about 1 yr ago and I have been burning my images onto a cd or uploading them to an online site for developement since the start.

Prices are now about $0.39 per print plus $2 shipping online so that is pretty cheap.

Parousia

BTW I do print some here at home just to get an idea of color etc, but by far it is the most expensive method for developement.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
For reference,

The Epson c82 black cartridge holds around 36 ml of ink, and costs around 45$

The Canon BCI24 cartridge for the i450 holds around 9 ml of ink and costs around 10$

The Canon BCI-3eBK for the i850 holds around 30 ml of ink and costs around 19$.
(there is also a 3ePBK, which holds less ink but is a bluer black and makes photos a little nicer, for the same price)

The HP #56 for the Photosmart 7150/7350/7550 and Deskjet 5550 holds around 19 ml of ink and costs around 28$

But this is not the only determining factor, there are also the colour cartridges and photo quality paper to consider. Often, the paper can be the killer, costing as much as 50$ for 20 sheets of 8x10, depending on the thickness/heavyness/brightness.

--PB

·
Registered
69 Posts
Can you specifically name the site that you recommend ?

"online site for developement ...

Prices are now about $0.39 per print plus $2 shipping online so that is pretty cheap."

·
Registered
304 Posts
I bought the Canon i850 because of the rebate offered when I bought my emac. I would agree that it is an excellent printer (I have been an HP person all my career). I was very happy with the Canon until I realized I could not utilize duplex printing (printing on both sides of paper) in OS X! To print on both sides of the paper I have to go back into OS 9 to print :mad:
I emailed Canon and was told they have no plans to update the driver to allow duplex printing in OS X. Not impressed :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Duplex printing. Nothing that I think I would have immediate use for, but I'll keep that in mind.

I'm goona get a good look at these canons. Found an Epson C82 on sale, so I may take a really good look at that one.

H!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Epson 900 is the way to go...awesome photo printer and prints on CD's and DVD's!! Epson has better OS X drivers as well.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well, I'm giving the C82 by Epson a shot. Found it on sale @ Compusmart for $89 - while I'm seen them elsewhere @ over $200! :eek: I've never owned a printer :eek: as I always printed either @ school or Kinko's - but no more. Thanks a mil to all again, and I will follow up with some feedback. Setting up the unit as we speak.

H!

[ September 05, 2003, 07:42 PM: Message edited by: Ohenri ]

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Ohenri, if you want to be impressed by the c82, print a full res image on Photo Quality Paper, let it set for a few minutes, and then run it under water. The resilience of the DuraBright inks is pretty amazing.

--PB

1 - 20 of 27 Posts