Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Im looking to get a new Apple laptop for college starting in September, and Im not too sure which one to go with. I've cut it down to these two units:

MacBook Pro, 15.4-inch, 2.4GHz SR Core2Duo
2gb 667 DDR2 SDRAM
160gb/7200 rpm SATA drive

or

MacBook, 13.3-inch, 2.16GHz SR Core2Duo
2gb 667 DDR2 SDRAM
160gb/5400 rpm SATA drive (when I order, I want to ask if they'll build this with a 7200 rpm drive...but Im not sure if it can happen.)

Both have a 8x SuperDrive, and with either system I plan on adding a 250GB/7200 rpm external HD.

I really like the portability, lighter weight, extra battery life, and new keyboard of the MB..

...but I'll miss the full size DVI out, backlit keyboard, aluminum case, LED backlit screen, ExpressCard/34 slot, FW 800 port, ability for expansion, the increased screen real estate and, of couse, video card of the MBP.

I want to use this laptop at home as well, with a Wireless mighty mouse and keyboard, along with a 19" ViewSonic LCD widescreen display via DVI that I currently run at 1440x900 res.

Uses?

I'll be using Aperture, some basic photoshop work, all iLife apps (everyday web browsing, iTunes (with iPod) etc.), office apps for school and will run Parallels with XP Pro.

I'm just getting back to the Apple world from being stuck in PC-land for the past few years. I used to use some Mac-based CAD programs, such as VectorWorks (with 3-D rendering) and I'm begining to venture into the world of Final Cut.

By no means am I a computer pro, but I can see the use of the MBP's extra power coming in very handy for some of my work.

Do you see Apple coming out with a MB rev (LED backlit included) before the launch of Leopard?

I do have the option of a free iPod if I order before Sept 15, but its not that big of a deal if I miss that.

Thanks for your time and advice.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Hey guys,
I'll be using Aperture, some basic photoshop work, all iLife apps (everyday web
Aperture is very dependent on the graphics card. That software alone [should you use it a lot] would be a deciding factor. The MBP has solid discrete graphics while the MB relies on the graphics card built into the Intel chipset.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm a graphic / web designer, but most of what I do depends on Photoshop and coding, not programs such as Aperture. Which is why I'm getting a Macbook.

Normally I would suggest a Macbook for a student, but judging by which programs you're using and what kind of work you do, I'd suggest the Macbook Pro. You'd be paying more, but sounds like you were going to get one of the best versions of the Macbook anyway. So may as well go with the Pro if you have the money.

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
Do you use Aperture now?

If not, then consider alternatives. I suggest this not because it's not a good app, but because it seems to be the only thing causing you to need a MBP.

The MB is a powerful machine except with very graphics hungry work (in many speed tests there is little difference between the two Macs). It can run your external monitor very well. The price difference will go a long way to paying for your external drive and more RAM.

Perhaps consider mobility. The MB is not only lighter, but it's size makes it a little handier when using public transport, in coffee shops etc.

If, on the other hand, you do not count mobility as being important and you have the cash, get the MBP.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I think it all comes down to what you can afford. The difference is roughly $500. That's a fair chunch of change, but the MBP is a lot more machine too. I agree with jaline: if you have the cash, go for the MBP.

Disclosure: My own MBP came by FedEx this very afternoon, so I might be a little more enthusiastic than normal. :)

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
The Different in weight is not so much anymore -- the SR MBPs are 5.4 lbs, the MBs are 5.1 lbs. I don't think a 3rd of a pound will break anyone's back too much (Hell, most Dell laptops are like 7-9 lbs ;) )

On top of Aperture, You also mention FCP. ARe you gonna do any heavy FCP stuff? FCP is officially not supported on the MacBooks (only on the Pros). It works like a charm on the MacBooks -- but the lack of a discrete graphics card again plays a factor when you get to Shake and Motion (but as a beginner to FCP -- you prolly won't be playing with those for a while).

Re: MacBook rev -- there will probably be another one in and around Leopard - or at the latest January (at MacWorld). do you wanna wait that long?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi all,

Thanks for all the wonderful (and quick) responses I've been getting.

As of now, I am not using Aperture at home. However, I've used it in the past and I really like layout and ease of use of the program. With thousands of D-SLR photos, I'm a huge fan of Aperture's thumbnails vs. iPhoto's. Although I am willing to look at alternatives.

Mobility is very important. I will be lugging this computer to and from campus in a backpack, so the smaller, the better. For me, that is probably the most appealing feature of the MB.

This is a graduation gift from my parents, so they will be paying for this one and they don't mind getting either system, MB or MBP.

In regards to FCP, I've got iMovie down pretty well, and I'm just starting to explore Final Cut, so I haven't really "got attached" to it yet. hehe

Thanks again!

·
Registered
189 Posts
The Macbook Pro hands down

The Macbook is a fisher price toy , the LCD cracked according to the genius from a book inside my bag...through an incase sleeve.

Pathetic

The logit board failed

The cd drive sounds like a trash compacter

Its a piece of crap

I heart my Santa Rosa MBP. Get the 2.2 and put 3 gbs

·
Registered
355 Posts
If you are looking to save a couple bucks on a mbp try and find one of the models that were just replaced... I just saw one on clearance at London Drugs 15.4" mbp top of the line one for I think $400 or $500 bucks off. If you can "deal" with getting one of the later models, you could save a couple bucks.

·
Registered
203 Posts
If money isn't a consideration, then there is no reason to consider the MacBook. The MacBook Pro is a much more capable machine. And according to the Apple Store, there is no option for a 7200RPM HDD for the MacBook. The only negative (if you can call it that) part of getting the MBP is it's slightly larger size but as Fyrefly has pointed out the weigt is only slightly more. A 15" MacBook Pro is smaller and slimmer than almost every other 15" notebook. It is still very portable. Plus, IMHO, it is much sexier than the MacBook. I just recently ordered my 2.2Ghz SR MacBook Pro with a matte screen and a 160Gb 5400Rpm HDD and should be receiving it shortly :D .

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
This is a graduation gift from my parents, so they will be paying for this one and they don't mind getting either system, MB or MBP.
In that case, I'd definitely go MBP. I'm quite surprised at how little this unit weighs. It's slightly larger, but the difference isn't huge.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Go Pro

I would definately go with the MBP.

Some of the new features in the Pro version make it even more appealing
like the LED screen, new chipset (wireless N) and nVidia graphics card, you
will have a machine that will stand the test of time better.

·
Registered
334 Posts
$1999 for the stock 2.2ghz MBP is very much worth it. Make sure you use the education store to get the $200 discount on the MBP (or $100 on the MB) and the free 4GB nano (or $229 towards any iPod). I am on my stock 2.2ghz MBP now and I love it. I just need to get used to the Mac OS and learn all of the keyboard shortcuts to make my life go a bit faster :p

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
Perhaps consider mobility. The MB is not only lighter, but it's size makes it a little handier when using public transport, in coffee shops etc.

If, on the other hand, you do not count mobility as being important and you have the cash, get the MBP.
MB=5.1lb while the MBP=5.4lb. Weight difference is insignificant. Go for the 15" MBPro.

·
Registered
848 Posts
MB=5.1lb while the MBP=5.4lb. Weight difference is insignificant. Go for the 15" MBPro.
I have the 17"MBP. The size is fabulous for playing DVD's, presentations, and just the extra screen realestate is nice. That being said though, the 15" is a lot more portable. Going from class to class, on the bus etc, you can't get over the portability of the MB, v.s the pro. It's not so much the weight as quoted above, it's the portability which really becomes the factor.

For Uni, i'd elect to go for the smaller MB. It will still be better than anything your pc counterparts have.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts