Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister and brother-in-law have a slot-loading iMac with a problem -- their 3-year-old stuck a quarter into the CD slot, and now it won't take CDs.

Is it relatively easy to get at the guts of this puppy, or should I suggest they call an expert?

(I think I already know the answer, but let me know.)

Thanks!
Sandy

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sandy McMurray:
My sister and brother-in-law have a slot-loading iMac with a problem -- their 3-year-old stuck a quarter into the CD slot, and now it won't take CDs.

Is it relatively easy to get at the guts of this puppy, or should I suggest they call an expert?

(I think I already know the answer, but let me know.)

Thanks!
Sandy
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Call an expert. Seriously.

It's not going to be an easy task, even for an expert.

This is also why people are warned away from mini-CDs. The size can get them stuck and can even damage the drive mechnaism.

Any coin-based currency holds the same potential for destruction.

:cool:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Turn it off, turn it over, and smack it like a baby who ate a quarter. It might be able to tumble out.

Other than that, being it in to a tech. It's not broken.. it should only cost just a little to get it out...

-SJ.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
piggy bank iMac?

what a great idea for old and unused mac 128, 512, 512e, SEs

since these units had the special tool to open them up plus the case spreader (made me feel like a cardiac surgeon) they would make great piggy banks for the kids !!

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by macspectrum:
piggy bank iMac?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ha, ha. :D Too funny. However, a much better mod than an iMacquarium. Just imagine, once the little iMac is full of loonies and twoonies, you'll probably have enough for your next Mac.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Put the iMac onto a sofa and turn off the light. The quarter will migrate to the back of the cushion in about 10 minutes....

The slot loading mechanism is self contained so taking apart the iMac will do no good (although removing the drive would make it easier to try to jiggle out the coin). iMacs aren't that easy to pull apart though and this can be dangerous due to the display tube (even when unplugged). It'll be nigh impossible to hook it out without removing the drive due to the "brushes" on the slot but it might be worth taking a lollipop stick and affixing double sided tape to one side. Paddling downwards may attach the coin if you're really lucky.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
re: iMac piggy bank

i gotta call my lawyer to get this idea copyrighted.

then sell it to Stevie boy.

imagine, u buy the shell and save up loonies and toonies for a real imac, then the guts come when u can afford it !

talk about your lay-away plan !

now where is that number to my lawyer?

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Hey Sandy.. Neighbour across the road from me had the same thing happen twice. :D Hey 777!

First time was a little picture. Second time was a guitar pick.

iMac take apart is quite involved so they may want to spend the approx $50 to get it done properly. Any Apple service centre will have no problem (Another common problem is people putting those little mini CD's that look like a credit card... they get stuck nice and easy.

I could make a nice detailed video for you how to do it...in exchange for say... I story written for (or about) ehMac?! ;) :D

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SpanishJoe:
Turn it off, turn it over, and smack it like a baby who ate a quarter. It might be able to tumble out.
-SJ.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I agree,

Take that 3 year old, turn 'em over and smack 'em for putting that quarter in the poor defenseless iMac... :mad:

Wait a minute, maybe I read that wrong...
:D

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
i remember way back in the old days of the Mac SE epoch, before AC current was standard that there was a device that would let you lock up your floppy drive so as to not let people use your dual diskette bootable mac.

I wonder if there is such a cover for cd/dvd slots?

sounds like a good idea for someone to come up with a little gadget

i am sure this problem occurs with some frequency across the home computer world.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Never ever under any conditions stick a magnetic anything into a computer. I can't beleive I read that on hear.

Take a refresher in IC construction and magnetic fields. Not to sound harsh or nasty, but that is just not cool telling someone to do that. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yes, it did happen to me twice as ehmax has mentioned. The first time he removed the picture. There were many times during the process that he asked "Are you sure you want me to do this?"

The second time I did it myself. Make sure that if you do decide to tackle it you have an anti-static mat. I would probably recommend you take it to someone who knows what they are doing. I remember asking myself while I was taking my iMac apart, "What is that?"

It worked out for me, it is working fine. :D

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
If it helps, there is a bit of a tale on how I pooched my internal ZIP drive on my G4.

Seems that I am messy. Not disgustingly so, just enough that the clutter is overwhelming at times.

I stuck a ZIP disk in one day to hear a peculiar "click, click, click, click..."

Now, I've heard the ZIP "Click 'o' Death" before. This wasn't quite the same (which threw me for a bit) and the Zip Disk turned out to be stuck in the drive.

At this point, I panicked.

Once I donned my Peril-Sensitive sunglasses, I calmed down and managed to remove (a bit foreceably) the disk.

I breathed a sigh of relief,and then chose a different disk and *carefully* slid it into the drive.

The exact same subdued clicking noise and this time, i couldn't get the disk out.

I pulled out the drive (after much labourious tinkering, pulling, disconnecting, and unscrewing) and ith the internal drive free of the G4 base, managed to pull out the Zip Disk... *and* an odd shiny circular metallish/aluminimum thing that had a hint of plastic on it.

I then looked over at another part of my desk to see the empty pringles can and reailzedit was the "freshness" seal disc one usually discards.

But, I'm a bit messy.

And the first Zip Disk was apparently lying ON TOP of this thing and static electricity was *just* enough for it to stick as I picked up the Zip Disk and inserted it into the drive.

Death by Pringles Packaging...

The Zip Drive hasn't worked since.

Well, I haven't tried it in almost a year. Maybe i'll try it... Just to see if time heals all wounds...

:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Strongblade, peril-sensitive sunglasses, you way cool froodyou. Man, its been awhile since I thought about them. :D
Robert
ps: still have my towel with me though. :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
i guess we can all share our stuff stuck in hardware tales
My fiend left some change on top of his inkjet printer anda penny slipped inside it , the thing had to be totally taken apart by a tech he showe the guy his penny, and my friend felt like a fool, haha.

I have another question that really bothers me.

How do you remove the clear plastic cover of a Apple pro keyboard, I want to remove debris caught under the plastic, MacDoc or anyone who can help please let me know.
Mark

·
Registered
96 Posts
Minnes wrote:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>How do you remove the clear plastic cover of a Apple pro keyboard, I want to remove debris caught under the plastic, MacDoc or anyone who can help please let me know.
Mark <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Little tiny allan key.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts