Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone tried this? I ran a demo and bought it moments later. this is a sweet product. I have been dreaming of this every since the demise of homesite. I used to do all of my web development in windows, well now I am a full mac man. the ftp integration is sweet, i have tried numerous other products with integrated ftp and none can hold a candle to coda. it is smooth and natural (just like my hair!). on top of that the editor is very nice and not intrusive. Ensuite preview is very good, but it does not preview php properly is the only drawback i have found so far. There is also terminal/SSH integration which is surprising useful.

I am doing my wifes website (she's an artist) and i have to say that I am twice as far along as i thought i would be because of the ease of development. Its a version 1 product but it is very solid and performs excellent, no slow-downs, no crashes, ftp is fast.

Just thought some of you web-monkeys might like to know.

Panic - Coda - One-Window Web Development for Mac OS X

G

·
I tried Coda, it was ok. It's honestly almost a total clone/knockoff the the KDE editor called kate which has been around for many years ... about the only thing it has in addition is the guided CSS editor stuff, which I dont use.

I wasn't overly fond of it's ftp integration, it was slow compared to what I'm used to using. Coda was also insanely slow (read grinds your machine to a halt) for other things, like adjusting syntax coloring (try it with a few files open, you'll see what I mean). It brought my dual G5 to it's knees and took upwards of 3-4 seconds before a change went into effect, including watching it slowly process all the open documents, ugggg. This is on _each_ change, and since they were not kind enough to give a decent scheme that's close to what I like to use it was rather painful. After 30 minutes of frustration trying to get it looking how I wanted I gave up on it.

I used BBEdit for many years, and have lately downgraded to their free product TextWrangler. I much prefer their ftp/sftp tools and the way it handles multiple files with a drawer instead of top tabs, especially when you have a lot of files open.

But of course YMMV and everyone likes different things! :D

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
spoiled

sorry man, i had no idea how it performs as it never pauses even for a fraction of a second on my mac pro. i guess i am spoiled!

i moved from TextWrangler and wont be looking back. but i dont even see it eating any cpu cycles, so not sure why performance would be so bad on a dual G5!???. mayber i have a newer version, they did an update recently and said they replaced the ftp engine with their "turbo" verions (whatever that means). The FTP on coda is blazingly fast for me, I did side by side with my other ftp clients, including terminal and it consistently was faster with larger files or many files.

The great thing about the ftp integration is the way it tracks each file with a visual cue. you can tell in an instant if the file has been changed but not saved (needs to be saved first, then uploaded), or changed and saved (ready for upload), or uploading, or clean. I found it very usefull when working on specific page groups, or on many files at once.

the css tool is ok but I still just edit the css file in the editor. having the code completion on css in the editor is nice though.

cheers

·
Registered
206 Posts
For quick and easy web site authoring, I think there's no beating iWeb and, even better, Rapidweaver 3.5.1...especially for the price. Personally, I can't wait for RW 3.6, which I'm definitely going to buy.

G

·
iWeb abd RW are not the same type of application really :D Coda and textwrangler are made for hand coding of html from scratch.

The slowdowns are mostly apparent when changing the color syntax stuff saxamaphone. Also just wanted to say that textwrangler does most of the things you list there too ;) Coda seemed to re-open a new sftp connection on every query for me, even if they were only seconds apart which probably accounts for the slower performance.

Each to their own! Glad it's working out well for you :)

·
Registered
534 Posts
For quick and easy web site authoring, I think there's no beating iWeb and, even better, Rapidweaver 3.5.1...especially for the price. Personally, I can't wait for RW 3.6, which I'm definitely going to buy.
Rapidweaver 3.5.1 was free for Macuser readers recently - very good value :D

I like it, though it could use a bit more text formatting tools.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gathering dust

I believe this is only for UK users. I'm also kicking myself for not going for that MacHeist bundle that included RW. Oh well...
i purchased a RW license last year before i really evaluated the product. Not sure if it is transferrable but I have never used the product since. just not flexible enough.

otherwise i have an RB license up for grabs, let me look into that...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.