Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. So I setup a G5 iMac, installed from a retail OS X disc. I cloned the drive to a partation on a brand new Lacie FW Drive that has been reformatted as Mac Only.

I used both CCC and SuperDuper! to attempt the clone, but with both of them, when you restart from the FW Drive, you get the Prohibitory sign (No smoking symbol) instead of the Apple when you boot. This is driving me nuts. Anybody have a solution for this? I have reset the PRAM, but that did not work at all. ANy ideas would be appreciated.

K

·
Registered
960 Posts
GUID Partition?

hey macdaddy,

when you formatted the external FW drive, did you select GUID partition map?
Is the G5 iMac an Intel? If so, you must use the partition scheme mentioned above.

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No G5's were intel, it was a Motorola processor. The iMac is being used to try and boot the cloned system as well. I partitioned the drive, but did not choose any mapping.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Try using Disk Utility to clone the drive. Select the drive to clone, click on the "Restore" tab, then drag the source and destination volumes to the appropriate fields and click the "Restore" button. Probably a good idea to check "Erase Destination" as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.