Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Honourable Citizen?
4,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across this tip on clearing out the "Open With" contextual menu posted on MacSurfer and immediately tried it out.

This menu for me has become huge and sometimes takes several seconds to open up. Even though I believe I followed the instructions to the letter, the tip, which is provided by Apple, didn't seem to work at all.

I wonder if anyone knows the answer to this or what I might have done wrong.

Here are the instructions that Apple gives:

Mac OS X: Clearing the Finder "Open With" contextual menu

Ever wondered how to "clear" the Finder's Open With... contextual menu choices of any extraneous or older applications? (This is the menu that appears when you control-click or "right-click" a document icon.)

If your Open With... menu is filled with too many choices to easily scroll through, you can remove the less-commonly used choices. These steps will clear the list except for the most current applications that can open your document.

From the Finder Go menu, choose Home.

Open the Library folder in the Home window.

Open the Preferences folder.

Find com.apple.LaunchServices.plist.

Rename "com.apple.LaunchServices", such as to "com.apple.LaunchServices.old", or move it to the Trash.

The next time you use the Open With.... contextual menu in the Finder, only current applications will be listed. Some items may return if the application that controls them adds itself back to the list.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just tried out that tip and it worked really well for me. I right clicked on a pdf document and went to "Open with" and got a list of only ten application options.

·
Honourable Citizen?
4,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just tried out that tip and it worked really well for me. I right clicked on a pdf document and went to "Open with" and got a list of only ten application options.
When I did it, I got the same long menu list. I even took the com.apple.LaunchServices.plist file and removed it completely from my HD, (copied it to a flash drive and deleted) and logged out and back in. Still the same result. Then I rebooted.

So I thought maybe the system was actually getting the menu from some other source, so I scoured the HD for another similar file, but couldn't find it.

·
Bald by choice
9,055 Posts
Open a Terminal window
copy and paste all of the following...
---------------------------------------------
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/\
Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister \
-kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user
----------------------------------------------
then execute it.
This will remove duplicates and irrelevant stuff and clean up the menu.

jb

·
Honourable Citizen?
4,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Open a Terminal window
then execute it.

jb
Thanks James, for your über-geeky wisdom. :) I'll have to try that out and report back.

·
Bald by choice
9,055 Posts
This was a tip I found on the web, not mine originally.
It works as is in a terminal window, but if a person wants to make a script to have it run automatically I'd suggest using this version...
-----------------
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user
------------------
same command, just cleaned up a bit from the original unix version, no spaces or pipe commands.

jb

·
Honourable Citizen?
4,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Open a Terminal window
then execute it.

jb
Here's what I got back when I tried this:
? -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user
tcsh: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/: Permission denied.
I guessed that was because I have set my main account to be a non-admin standard account. I changed my account to an admin account temporarily, but it still gave the same result. Could there be a mistake in what I entered - extra space of something?

I have another account that I use for admin stuff, but I assume that wouldn't work because the change would only affect the account I was in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts