Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of interest to those running OS 8.6 through 9.x either natively or in classic mode through OS X.

Classilla is a Mozillla based web browser that is being modernized for older Macintosh machines. Kudos to Cameron Kaiser for breathing new life into vintage Macs.

This seems to be a series of bug fixes with the author Cameron Kaiser indicating that 9.3 will be out in the third quarter of this year.

For users of early versions of OS X, this actually may be a good browser choice for many things.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
I tried Classilla 9.2.2 briefly this morning. It doesn't seem to be much different than 9.2.1, but the scrolling might be a tad faster. I'll have to play with it a bit more to be sure.

One thing that I liked with both this version, and 9.2.1 is that it has a right click option to open a new tab in the background. The current version of Seamonkey doesn't even have that.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
After a bit more playing around yesterday and today, it's clear that the slow scrolling problem still hasn't been resolved for me.
That's the only thing that keeps it from being great. It's still the best browser for the older classic OS, however.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had every version. It has been interesting to watch the web sites that I could not go on my 15 year old machine shrink. It will be interesting to see the next version as it is supposed to be major.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
I was playing around with my old Quicksilver G4 that I usually have set to OSX, but switched over to OS9 to do some printer troubleshooting. I needed to download some stuff from the net, but I only had the old Wamcom Mozilla browser. I downloaded Classilla 9.2.3, and it works great on this Mac. No scrolling problems like on my 9600 and Power Tower Pro. I don't know if this is due to this newer version of Classilla, since I haven't yet tried it on my older OS9 Macs. I'd finally retired them in the summer when the power supply went on the 9600.

I'll have to try the old Power Tower Pro with this new version of Classilla to see if the scrolling issue is resolved now on that Mac.

..... and damn is it nice to have an option to open a link in a new background tab when you do a right mouse click. Seamonkey for OSX doesn't even have this feature.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't had much opportunity to play lately. My PB 1400's have bit the dust ( I will resurrect them eventually) . I have some classic desktop gear in the basement, but it is not near as convenient as setting up on the kitchen table.

So hear, he has done an amazing job on this. From postings to another forum, I think he is going to concentrate on mobile sites for this browser, which considering the power and age of the machines, is probably a good thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts