Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello dear EhMacers, I have a question. Forgive me if it seems elementary.

Here's some background info: I used to have my iBook in two partitions, one for OS 9 and one for OS X. I got Adobe InDesign over the holidays and after using it for a while I decided that I didn't need Quark anymore so I got rid of the OS 9 partition and OS 9 altogether and made my iBook purely OS X. (I just love OS X so much!)

The problem is that I found this one file that InDesign doesn't seem to be able to open properly...

Now, if I install OS 9 within my single (OS X) partition, could I run Quark in the classic environment? How would the performance be if it's possible? Or do I have to go back to the old way and boot into 9? Reinstalling everything is a pain and I don't want to do it again...

Cheers.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
"Now, if I install OS 9 within my single (OS X) partition, could I run Quark in the classic environment? How would the performance be if it's possible? Or do I have to go back to the old way and boot into 9? Reinstalling everything is a pain and I don't want to do it again..."

Yes, you could run Classic Mode in OS X and run Quark through Classic. Performance depends on your CPU speed/processor and how much RAM you have. Nevertheless, Classic speed will never, ever, reach the speed of the "real" Mac OS 9 (aka, booting into OS 9, running Quark from there). Hope that helps.

What kind of a system setup do you have?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Lars.

I have an iBook 600, 386 RAM, 20 GB HD. I guess it doesn't really matter (no choice) if it's not as fast, as long as I can manipulate the file.

Now, I just realized I don't even know how to go about installing OS 9 in my OS X partition... How does one go about doing that? I inserted the OS 9 CD to install it but it says I don't have OS 9 to run classic. Duh.

Do I have to reboot from the OS 9 CD and install it like that? I am afraid I will lose all my OS X stuff that way...

Cheers and thanks in advance.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
"Do I have to reboot from the OS 9 CD and install it like that? I am afraid I will lose all my OS X stuff that way... "

Boot from the OS 9 CD by holding down the "C" key after restarting your Mac with the CD in the drive. Then just go ahead and install Mac OS 9 on the OS X drive. You won't lose any of your files on your drive or replace OS X - you'll just end up having 2 system folders; one for OS X, the other for OS 9. Then, you can run Classic Mode through the System Preferences Panel.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot Lars. You definitely are useful! ;) I appreciate the quick responses also as I need to access the file asap.

Cheers.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sander:
Thanks a lot Lars. You definitely are useful! ;) I appreciate the quick responses also as I need to access the file asap.

Cheers.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're welcome. I try my best.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts