Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
I miss Graphing Calculator

But seriously, there is nothing that I miss in my day to day usage. I have been running OS X-only on my iBook since the public beta, and OS X-only on my desktop since 10.1.

It is so hard to use 9 now. It looks so early-90's.

Actually, now that I think of it, I would like to have an OS X patch for Deus Ex.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Mark - GraphicConverter should do the trick. (http://www.graphicconverter.net)

MasterBlaster - Some of my really old school 68k games don't work well in Classic, and UT sucks in OS X. However I doubt they will axe IE for 10.3 as many people still use it, but the emphasis would be put on Safari.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I really, really miss the freeware version of Risk. Anyone remember that one? A tiny app, like 100k or something, very fast, small, no frills. I could play a quick game in five minutes, or make it last forever. Fantastic app. Wouldn't work in OS9, tho.

I also miss "Allied General," a fun little strategy game. I used to play it on my Powerbook in OS9, but when I got a 500mhz iBook it wouldn't run anymore for some reason. I suppose I could try it in OSX via Classic, but I'm not optimistic.

And I remember JpegView too! That was nice li'l app.

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
I still run two classic apps that need to become a Carbon App - My Accounting program Connected, and my Payroll - Checkmark Payroll. So if anyone is reading this from either companies, I suggest you get off your A** and port these Apps. Apple won't be supporting Classic let alone Classic Apps for much longer.

Steve even said at one of his keynotes : OS9 is dead.

Any suggestions to a good multi user Accounting app that is cross platform and an OSX payroll program that integrates with the Accounting??

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
You can run System 7.1 or 7.5.x or 7.6 on your new G4 if you like, along with any old applications that work with them. To do it, you need an emulator - Basilisk II. It's free!

Cheers :-> Bill

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Two apps I miss:

- standalone scan module for Canon N650U
(opening Photoshop on my 300mhz iBook just to scan a photo is a bit of a pain)
- Color It!
a very cool cross between Photoshop and Graphic Converter

:cool:
M

[ August 14, 2003, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: CubaMark ]

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
I for one would like to see a OSX/Cocoa version of NetHack...the ultra in low-tech gaming! My version still works fine and it's just about the only reason why I ever fire up Classic mode.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I bought a copy of Adobe ImageStyler during the short time that it was available. It does a terrible job of writing code but it gives type and icons a unique character. I suppose that if you fooled around in PhotoShop long enough you could reproduce some of them, but ImageStyler gives you fast, nicely designed elements (I especially like the glass effect) that are attractive and easy to modify.

Once in a while I would like to open up Starship Titanic again.
It had beautiful graphics, a very silly plot, and of course Douglas Adams at the helm.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Deus Ex. The coolest game to ever come to the Mac platform.

Although I also miss some of the classic LucasArts games like Sam & Max and Day of the Tentacle, there is a SCUMMVR emulator being developed that may solve that problem given time...

(Fast Fact: SCUMM stood for Script Creation Utility for Maniac Mansion - which was the engine that powered a number of these games...)

Other than a handful of older games, I really don't miss OS 9 much at all...

:cool:

·
Registered
693 Posts
MORTAL PONGBAT!!!!

Runs ok in Classic thou...

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Mark Lulham asked:

I miss the OS9 shareware application JPEGView. It's seemed to be the only slideshow viewer that could view pics in random order.

Is there an OSX application which can do this?
Sure there is! In the "System Preferences" choose "Screen Effects" and select (your) "Picture Folder", then click the "Configure" button and check the "Present slides in random order" Display Option. Now slide your mouse to a "Hot Corner" and sit back and watch the show.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I miss CopyAgent by Connectix :(
Does anyone know of an alternative program for OS X that allows you to drag a file to a backup disc with only what has changed being copied?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts