Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

I just got a 466 iBook clamshell (running 10.4 Tiger) and I've got an issue with the volume.

It seems really, really low to me. On the highest setting it's pretty quiet and at the halfway point it's effectively muted.

I don't remember the volume on the Clamshell iBooks being this bad.

Any ideas? The earphone jack works great. Could it be a balance setting, since the iBook only has one speaker?

Thanks in advance,

Page

G

·
Have you tried zapping the PRAM? Also worth checking the settings in Utilities->Audio Midi Setup as there are volume controls in there as well. If it's a balance thing then you can set that in the sound control panel.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info/tips Mguertin,

I tried the PRAM reset first thing and there wasn't any change. Did the Open Firmware reset too, no change.

Completely forgot about the Audio Midi utility, however, it didn't really change anything :(

Even did a PMU reset and the volume is pretty low still.

Not to sure where to go from here, maybe the little speaker is done and needs to be replaced?

One thing I was thinking about is maybe a balance issue with the OS. Since the iBook has only one speaker, could the OS be only sending half the signal to the lone speaker "thinking" there are two?

So far the install seems to know there's only one speaker as there are no balance controls (L to R) available.

Thanks again :)

G

·
I don't think youi're going to find an OF hack or driver that will help here, it sounds like a phycial limitation of the hardware to me. I remember those machines being pretty quiet too now that it was mentioned. Best sugestion ... plug in some speakers! :(

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The lappie is for my daughter (she's pretty young still) and I want to keep the footprint of the machine as small as possible (and stuff she can rip out to a minimum).

Thanks though, I am going to look for some external speakers that are battery powered and hopefully match the ibook (as much as you can match a key lime ibook).

Wish me luck ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts