Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little while ago the in the news we learned that the CIRA, SOCAN and the CPCC had brought a case to the Supreme Court of Canada seeking to have ISPs pay a levy in respect of their subsribers who might (or might not) be involved in music downloading.

Yesterday the US District Appeals Court heard Verizon's appeal of a lower court ruling forcing them honor subponeas from the RIAA demanding the names of subscribers; the subpoenas are based on the US Digital Millenia Copyright Act.

Verizon lost the previous judgement and in the time since has given quite a few names, but they pursued the appeal in the courts.

Yesterday they won (meaning the RIAA must appeal that decision to the US Supreme Court, or give up on it's suing strategy).

Anyway, an interesting comment by the judges that I couldn't help but notice refers directly to what the Supreme Court of Canada is currently contemplating:

" ... The appeals court said one of the arguments by the Recording Industry Association of America "borders upon the silly," rejecting the trade group's claims that Verizon was responsible for downloaded music because such data files traverse its network. ..."

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
They are asking for something in the order of $.025 per subscriber, so if by some wild chance they win it shouldn't impact the bill much.

However, this is the modus operadi of CPCC; an innocent amount at first followed by outrageous demands for an increase every chance they get, which by law, means once a year. So, you may well be right when you fear a large increase sometime in the future.

I really don't think they have a chance, though.

It's my humble opinion that the Supreme Court decided to hear the case not because the application had merit, but because they felt it was time to adress the issue because it impacts so many other businesses and data transmission issues of the future.

A Supreme Court ruling is pretty much it, so contracts will be signed in the future without any ambiguity.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
can you imagine if there was such a victory against ISP's?? what it would cost to even surf the internet?? I pay 34.95 per month on ADSL with Telus in Alberta..in other areas it's $39.95 or $24.95 whatever..cable is around the same price..but if the ISP's got nailed we would all be poor! or back on good ole dial up at $30 per month
and that is not going to happen to me anytime soon I hope!! I hate dial up now!! if I goto my dads to visit I cringe when I goto check my email! poor guy! he had cable in the city but then moved out of town so dial up is the only option besides satellite..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts