Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Chuck Barris RIP

1K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  screature 
#1 ·

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes, the shows he created were certainly unique.

#4 ·
My favourite show of his was Treasure Hunt with Geoff Edwards. It was just wall-to-wall agony for contestants and not really so much a game as 15 minutes of extended cruel manipulation. Barris said he himself was shocked by Edwards' abilities.

#6 ·
The Gong Show was pretty "rad" for its time. Some people loved it and some people hated it, it got good ratings anyway while it lasted.

I liked the unknown comic, at least in concept. It didn't always work but at least it was trying to shake things up at little bit in its own right.

Our family watched it almost religiously because it was so outrageous and different for the time.

RIP Chuck Barris.

#10 ·
I read Barris' autobiography. That movie was based on a single throwaway line in the book. When scriptwriter Charlie Kaufmann was asked to adapt the book into a film, that's what he focused on! Barris played along from then on, refusing to deny he was a spy.

Baris was also a songwriter, BTW--he wrote hit songs in the '60s like Pallisades Park.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

#11 ·
Loved that song. Even went to Pallisades Park in NJ a few times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.