Premium Member
1,920 Posts
hopefully Cerberus get some Fine Corinthian leather for there trouble. :D

Laterz :)

·
Palindromic Pooch
10,621 Posts
Define "many" and "room."
You sound like my Master's advisor, only he would have also wanted definitions of "witty," "intelligent," "welcome," "people," and probably "and.":confused:

His standard line was "What do we mean by _____?"

Anyway, "many" means you and everyone who agrees with your intelligent, witty self.;) In this context, "room" means server space, I suppose.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm afraid the laughter may turn to wailing and the gnashing of teeth when the guardian of Hades strips Chrylser down for parts.

At least in Windsor it will.

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
If Chrysler does go the way of the Do-Do hopefully the other 2 North American manufacturers see the writing on the wall and seek to build cars that are better built and more fuel efficient than the competition, another note for GM and Ford having some dealers that actually care about the customer instead of caring about the next sale and just maybe they will sell more cars as well.

Laterz :)

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
Where do you think the Jeep Badge will end up. That is the only vehicle badge that survived after American Motors (AMC) went the way of the Dodo Bird.

I think someone would pay for Hemi as a trade name but other than that I can't imagine any other badge surviving.

I thought Daimler Benz would refocus Daimler Chrysler away from Big or SUV vehicles. There were a few vehicles like the Crossfire early on that pointed that way.

The North American corporate culture at Chrysler seems rock solid and now dropping like a stone. :(

·
Registered
429 Posts
Where do you think the Jeep Badge will end up. That is the only vehicle badge that survived after American Motors (AMC) went the way of the Dodo Bird.

I think someone would pay for Hemi as a trade name but other than that I can't imagine any other badge surviving.
The Jeep brand alone is probably worth more than what they paid for the whole Chrysler group, just due to the history and global recognition. Sure Hemi is a marketing term, but not that valuable.

I thought Daimler Benz would refocus Daimler Chrysler away from Big or SUV vehicles. There were a few vehicles like the Crossfire early on that pointed that way.
It does seem like they would pull away from the big SUV's but despite what people say they want, the biggest sellers for Chrysler are the Ram and the mini-vans. The Crossfire was a great idea, a small sporty car based on a Mercedes platform. The only problem is, they couldn't even give them away!

The Hemi-hybird is a great idea. Hopefully they sell well and expand to more models. It is a slow, late start for getting into the market but at least they are starting.

The North American corporate culture at Chrysler seems rock solid and now dropping like a stone. :(
The last time Chrysler was taken over (a "merger of equals") they had taken themselves from the brink of bankruptcy to having 10-15 billion in the bank. The only problem is that many of the top people left after the "merger". Hopefully this group can actually sell some cars.

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
The last time Chrysler was taken over (a "merger of equals") they had taken themselves from the brink of bankruptcy to having 10-15 billion in the bank. The only problem is that many of the top people left after the "merger". Hopefully this group can actually sell some cars.
I suspect the folks that left Chrysler after the "merger of equals" didn't care for the culture of the new merged company. If Daimler had done things properly they would have built on Chrysler's strengths (innovative products, short time to market) and improved their weaknesses (reputation for quality). They controlled Chrysler for almost ten years, so they had plenty of time to make things work.

Buying a big, profitable car company for $36B and then selling it as a money losing company for a fraction of that ten years later is not very impressive. It seems that big successful German car companies have a poor track record when it comes to mergers - BMW's botched takeover of the Rover group would be the other recent example that comes to mind.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts