Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
R.I.P. Don - 06/21/2020
86,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally the real truth about exactly who put our troops into a war zone and it wasn’t Harper:

OTTAWA -- Former prime minister Paul Martin is responsible for Canadian troops ending up in the "killing fields" around Kandahar because he took too long to make a decision, former prime minister Jean Chretien charges in a new book.
In a memoir likely to rip open old Liberal wounds and exacerbate divisions within the party only days before a possible plunge into a federal election, the former Liberal leader attacks Martin on several fronts, from his scheming to force Chretien out of office to Martin's handling of Canada's Kyoto environmental protocol commitments. He also argues that Martin has only himself to blame for the grief he suffered as a result of the sponsorship scandal.
And the former prime minister offers intriguing tidbits about such figures as former media baron Conrad Black and Queen Elizabeth II.
But Chretien, long described as a political brawler, takes off the gloves when it comes to Martin. He says manoeuvring by Martin and his supporters to push him out of the prime minister's office actually steeled his resolve to stay on.
He doesn't mince words.
"I was damned if I was going to let myself be shoved out the door by a gang of self-serving goons," Chretien writes after describing the hurt and betrayal he felt upon learning in the spring of 2000 about a meeting Martin supporters had held in a Toronto airport hotel. "By trying to force me to go, they aroused my competitive spirit, ignited my anger, and inadvertently gave me the blessing I needed from Aline (his wife) to fight for a third term. For that, ironically, I owed Paul Martin a great deal of thanks."
Chretien also recounts that after the Taliban government of Afghanistan was overthrown, he carefully engineered things so Canada's soldiers were stationed around the safer area of Kabul, helping to rebuild the Afghan capital.
"Later, unfortunately, when my successor took too long to make up his mind about whether Canada should extend our term with the International Security Assistance Force, our soldiers were moved out of Kabul and sent south again to battle the Taliban in the killing fields around Kandahar," Chretien writes.

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourn...=c0e1afee-7aa2-47df-92bd-776b5820ac4f&k=19818

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
Finally the real truth about exactly who put our troops into a war zone and it wasn’t Harper:
You are quite thick aren't you?
Harper is the one who wants to keep the troops there and quite happily so.

But let's sidetrack, 'cause you know, that's what you and MF like to do so often.
Our role in Afghanistan really about ties with U.S.

By appointing his new advisory panel on Afghanistan, Prime Minister Stephen Harper has inadvertently underlined what this war is about. It is not about Afghanistan. It is about the U.S.

How else to explain the membership of a body charged with determining Canada's future in Afghanistan?

None of the five on it is an expert on that country (although one, former Liberal deputy prime minister John Manley has twice visited there.) Yet four – Manley, former New York consul-general Pam Wallin, former Washington ambassador Derek Burney and former CN Rail chief Paul Tellier – have been intimately involved with the problems of Canada-U.S. relations, and in particular with the campaign to convince Americans that Canada is not soft on terror.

Of the five, only Jake Epp, a former federal Conservative cabinet minister who now chairs Ontario Power Generation, has never been directly involved in the Canada-U.S. file.

After the 9/11 attacks, it was Manley – then foreign affairs minister – who pushed his colleagues in government to meet U.S. security needs. His reason, as he explained later to authors Janice Stein and Eugene Lang, was his belief that prosperity depended on an open border.

And that, in turn, depended on Canada convincing Washington that it was serious about George W. Bush's war on terror.

In their book, The Unexpected War, Stein and Lang quote Manley recalling how he berated others in Jean Chrétien's cabinet.

"I was saying, `Excuse me ... have you been reading the papers lately?' while some other ministers were saying, `Let's not be sucked in by the Americans,' I thought these people were nuts and I still do."

In 2004, Paul Martin's Liberal government decided that the best way to keep Washington happy was to commit combat soldiers to Afghanistan.

In effect, he decided to risk Canadian lives in Kandahar to keep trucks rolling across the Detroit River.

As did Harper.

Now, as he tries to finesse the political unpopularity of the Afghan war, the Prime Minister is doing his best to ensure that official discussion remains tightly focused on what he sees as our real interest there – our relationship with Washington.
http://www.thestar.com/News/article/266634

·
Banned
7,966 Posts

·
Premium Member
43,043 Posts
Let me do it:

You know those bunch of Harpocrites...blah, blah...body bags...blah, blah..."Herr Harper...blah, blah...tax on Canada's poorest...blah, blah...Kyoto Accord...blah, blah...back to the Liberals...blah, blah...spinmesiter...blah, blah...Karl Rove...

·
Premium Member
43,043 Posts
Please explain what you mean.
This:

"Later, unfortunately, when my successor took too long to make up his mind about whether Canada should extend our term with the International Security Assistance Force, our soldiers were moved out of Kabul and sent south again to battle the Taliban in the killing fields around Kandahar," Chretien writes.

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
It's funny how the fright-wingers on this board used to blame Chretien for putting us in Afghanistan.

"As for Afghanistan, Chretien suggests that Martin is partly to blame for casualties because he "took too long to make up his mind" about Canada's role, and troops ended up being sent "to the killing fields around Kandahar."
A slight change of emphasis....

So, someone who has been accused of being a dirty fighter takes aim at his rival.. Okay then, it's the gospel according to Chretien is seems...

While dithers may have been dithering on this question , it remains to be seem how Canada did end up in Kandahar -

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.